Status
Not open for further replies.

No Display when running on battery

2K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Asus X555LA Laptop

Battery Only - Press ON button - nothing - not even logo

Then plug in power - up comes the image of the OS loading

Screen works fine while power connected - take out power - screen goes off, but still runs in the background

Thanks

#3 ·
You probably need a new battery.

When you click on the battery icon near the clock does it show the charge on the battery, and that it's charging when the power lead is plugged in ?

What do mean by 'still runs in the background' ?

#4 ·
OK, here is what I did this morning

It has been unplugged all night

Didn't plug it in to the mains this morning, so I pressed the ON button. NOTHING comes on the screen.

Went away for 5 minutes

Came back and plugged in the power - up comes the desktop straight away loaded. Battery almost 100%.

Never seen it before. It is though the screen lights up ONLY when power plugged in - Not even the computer logo comes up on battery power when first switched on ?

#5 ·
It's clear that there is a problem when it's on the battery. Does the machine work and show normal drainage when you disconnect the battery? Or does it shut down quickly?

in command prompt (you may need to be in command prompt admin mode for this) type powercfg /batteryreport and press enter. It should make a file. Then go to the location shown and open it. Please copy/paste it here.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Battery report
COMPUTER NAMELAPTOP
SYSTEM PRODUCT NAMEASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X555LA
BIOSX555LA.312 04/19/2019
OS BUILD19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
PLATFORM ROLEMobile
CONNECTED STANDBYNot supported
REPORT TIME2021-10-2419:09:03
Installed batteries
Information about each currently installed battery
BATTERY 1
NAMEX555-50
MANUFACTURERASUSTeK
SERIAL NUMBER-
CHEMISTRYLIon
DESIGN CAPACITY37,331 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY30,559 mWh
CYCLE COUNT32
Recent usage
Power states over the last 3 days

#13 ·
You are looking at either the lcd or the board not supplying the power to the LCD... or a simple case of the settings set to low. Can you go into the BIOS and look for anything that says LCD brightness on battery?

If that is a fail, then search for and open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. If you have that try Power-->On Battery-->Disable Power Saving Technology. Move the slider to Maximum Quality

#14 ·
Could be a fault on the motherboard not allowing the battery to power the screen's backlight, since you do get a display with charger connected I think the screen itself is ok.

#17 ·
Attempted to boot from linux dvd in Recovery section in settings - gave me the choice to boot from DVD....

Went through the motions, but never completed - then booted to windows

Tried to repeat the procedure and could not find "boot from DVD" anywhere after that .... ????

Plugged in external monitor to VGA out - picture OK on monitor when power removed from laptop....

Does that prove anything ?!

#20 ·
Nice piece of troubleshooting swapping screens. :up:

I would put the original screen back to make sure it wasn't just a poor connection.

If it's still not lighting up with battery power you may be able to find a cheap used screen on Ebay.

Reactions: Couriant
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.