1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display/won't turn off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Esquire42, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esquire42

Esquire42 Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I hope you all might be able to help me with this one. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes. So the situation is that my computer was working perfectky until I shut it down and disconnected it to move it into another room. After I reconected it, the computer turns on and I can hear the hard drives activating, however there is no display on the monitor. Also with this I can't turn the computer off using the power button or reset it once the computer has been turned on. i have to reach around the back of the computer and turn off the power supply manually. I tried testing to see if my video card was the problem by removing it and using the onboard display however the results were the same. I could really use some help. Thanks.

System specs

AMD 3500+ w/ 1 gig ddr400 ram
    ATI radeon 800xl video card
    500w power supply

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically you need to reconfigured the computer's BIOS to re-enable the onboard video. Since you can't see the display, the normal method for this is to take out the battery for a half hour or so, put it back in again and then restart the computer.

It can also be a bad monitor. Might try either putting yours on another computer or swapping in a known working one.

3. Esquire42

Esquire42 Thread Starter

I will try that, but I am doubting that the monitor is the problem, because the computer won't turn off. Is that more likely to be a motherboard problem or a powersuply problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!