1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cheekyhalfling, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheekyhalfling

Cheekyhalfling Thread Starter

I have abit of an odd situation I haven't been able to find an answer too while trawling through numerous forums.

When I turn my PC on everything is running, all fans are at full spin but I have no display. If I turn my pc on and off a few times it then works. I went to a local store for help and they told me its a faulty graphics card so I ordered a new one but I am having the same issue with this card. After reading for a lot more I presume its my RAM but this is where I appear to have an issue where others don't. If I remove one stick of ram my pc will turn off after 2 seconds and turn itself back on and rinse an repeat, it doesn't matter which stick or in which port they both have to be plugged in or the pc will not run at all.

This pc is a self build that has been running fine for the past few years the issue has only occurred recently about 6 months after another GFX upgrade. When the pc runs everything works flawlessly without a hitch. I am a little unsure on the info I need to give for help as this is my first post but his is a partial dxdiag. Really reluctant to fork out on new ram incase it isn't the issue.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7752
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/19/12 13:50:26 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8140MB RAM
    Page File: 3487MB used, 4666MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Also is it possible to crossfire a 270 and 280?

2. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

No. They have different architecture.

Do you get any post beeps when you start up?

3. Cheekyhalfling

No I haven't heard any beeps at all.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It's my guess the issue is with the power supply.

What brand name and model number and wattage is it?

------------------------------------------------------------

5. Cheekyhalfling

It is a cooler master gx 650w.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do some basic troubleshooting to see if you can find the problem.

1 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. If you have a usb keyboard, leave that connected
    3 Remove any add-in cards such as sound, nic, etc [if installed] If you have onboard sound, lan, etc, you will not have any cards. Leave your video card installed however do reseat the card; be sure it is fully seated.
    4 Now pw ON and see if the board will POST. If it does, shutdown and start connecting devices one at at time until you find the failed part. If it does not POST, then you will need to start swapping parts with known good units ie pw supply, ram, mb, etc.

FWIW I would swap the pw supply first. Cold boot problems are very often pw supply related.

7. Cheekyhalfling

I have just tried this, unplugged everthing but my keyboard but had the same issue, I turned my pc on and off 4 times and then finally I got a display. Im guessing this means my PSU is the likely culprit? Would this also explain why my pc turns off and on repeatedly if I removed a stick of ram? Manual says to always use dimm1 which I am doing but if I remove the second from dimm2 or try it in another port I have the on and off happen. Im forced to have both sticks in at the same time.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you got the voltage settings correct for the CPU and the memory in the BIOS??

9. Cheekyhalfling

I cannot confirm this as trying to get my display at start up is unpredictable, I don't think it should have anything to do with my bios though, this build is a few years old now and im only just having issues.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The pw supply is the very first thing I would swap to check. Note you do not even have to fully install the test unit; simply connect atx, aux and video pw. Now hit the ON button and see of the board will POST. If it does, then shutdown and fully install the new unit. If it does not post reliably, then you know the pw supply is not the problem and all you have to do is swap the aforementioned connectors.

11. Cheekyhalfling

Well I have ordered a new psu so fingers crossed that's the problem as I'm aging twice as fast trying to figure this out!

12. Cheekyhalfling

OK well I had no luck there, tried the new psu but had same problem on 3rd time of turning on I got display so no change. When putting my original psu back together and turning on my pc was turning itself off and on and then work on its own before I could flick the off switch. This is a new development. Im guessing I should change the ram next? or could it be something else?

13. Cheekyhalfling

My PC has completely broken now I believe, I tried to run a game which would just flash black screen and close so I restarted and when windows tune played it got halfway and made a loud duh sound and bsod, was very fast but I saw something about hardware, now when I'm able to get the PC to display after numerous restarts I get to the windows song and the duh noise happens and restarts or freezes.

14. Wurms

Wurms

Have you tried replacing the RAM? Perhaps buy from a place you can return? I had a similar issue with my build. Worked perfect until I would use a graphic intensive program. Then in a minute, or an hour, it would flash BSOD and restart. Ended up removing a stick and it never BSOD again.

Also, update your BIOS. Seems out of date. Looks likes memory compatibility is in the update.
    http://www.msi-bios.com/msi-bios-number-MS-7752.html

15. Cheekyhalfling

Ive now replaced the ram and still have the same problem, should my next move be the motherboard?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice