1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laskio, Dec 6, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

Built my first pc in awhile, started it up and everything is lit up besides the case fans and ram. No display, on my motherboard there is a yellow light by the ram if that means much. I was thinking it was ram that is DOA, but i want to be sure.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7csvcY

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

Next have you read the guide at the top of the h/w forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST problem.

3. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

Not to be rude but I did post every single part.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I think he posted that part-picker link https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7csvcY
    Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
    Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4
    G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB DUKE Video Card
    Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
    Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most people do not like to click on links they do not know; that is why you post the parts here.
    Looks like a decent parts selection. Have you read the guide and followed ALL steps?
    Are you getting any beep code from the motherboard? I assume you connected a motherboard speaker.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. lynx1021

lynx1021

7. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

Ram is what isnt lighting up either, tried one in each every start to no avail. Is this ram not compatible? Pc partpicker says it is, and is there a way to make sure it is the ram?

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

No, unless you have another stick of DDR4 ram to try or another computer to try yours in. You can try the troubleshooting steps for new builds from the top of the forum. https://forums.techguy.org/forums/hardware.19/ That LED by the Ram turns different colors depending on the problem, If it is CPU it turns red, VGA white,ECT, it is supposed to stay lit until the problem is corrected, Part picker is not always right , I can look up ram for my P43T 775 board and it is wrong because my board has to have double sided chips on the 4GB sticks for them to work. I had to order guaranteed 4gb sticks form crucial for them to work. You may need to contact G-skill about compatibility.

9. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

So if my ram is supposed to light up to show issues, then since it isnt lit at all could be a sign? Im going to buy a stick at best buy to test, if it doesnt fix anything ill return it and try something else..

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

Ah that makes more sense haha my bad.. so does that mean 3000 mhz wont be compatible with my board? Best buy has a corsair 3000 mhz rgb i was going to go buy.

12. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

It was ram guys, apparently not compatible..

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

Thanks for letting us Know!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice