1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by knuckles357, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knuckles357

knuckles357 Thread Starter

I am running the latest copy of SP3 Windows Xp Professional on my Acer 5920g, the laptop is turning 3 years and 2 months old this month.

I had a problem in the start of December last year, when I rebooted my laptop, there was one long beep and two short beeps, followed by a blank screen, (that showed black, as if it were still off), however, I could hear my computer running underneath the blank screen, as if a CPU was turned on without a monitor. Research on the net showed that this was a display problem, so I took my laptop to the local computer repair shop in my town, he fixed it for about a hundred odd.

A month and half from then, I rebooted my computer again due to installing an updated version of an audio driver as prompted to by my gamebooster. Upon restarting, I hear one long beep and two short beeps, this instantly sends me panicking, as no display comes on, I hold onto the power button and do a forced shut down, then I waited 10 seconds and powered it up again, this time, there is no long beep followed by two short beeps, however nothing is being displayed, I feel that my laptop has undergone the same problem.

Thing is, my project is saved onto my laptop and is due in a few days and I can't afford to send my laptop in for repairs again, can anyone help me?

Also I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue anymore as I don't hear the beeps, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section of the forums. :(

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

If you can get any information from the shop that fixed it before as to what they did, it would probably save some time.

Frankly, it sounds like a bad RAM stick.

You can test the memory by making a boot disk with the software on it.

Get Memtest86 Here.

3. knuckles357

They're a small shop so I don't think they would remember my specific laptop but I'll try asking them.

Is there an alternative? All I have on my hands right now is a macbook air and it doesn't have a cd drive

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

The only alternative I can suggest is, if you have more than one RAM stick, pull each one and trying booting it with the remaining. That can sometimes isolate the bad stick.

FWIW, you should always get the old parts back if some hardware is replaced. Sometimes an intermittent problem just thinks it was fixed and the part is perfectly OK. ;)

5. knuckles357

I don't even know how to unscrew the case, I've unscrewed everything and the stupid case seems like it's still suck, tried sliding it too to no avail, thanks for all your help though, I'll try to get it open again

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

I think you have to remove the battery first. I've seen that on several lappies.

Also see:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4868098_upgrade-memory-acer-aspire.html

Be careful handling the memory sticks since static electricity is a killer for them. Always ground yourself by touching a known ground or some metal part of the equipment before touching any computer board or component. Always handle memory sticks by the non-conductive edge and not the copper conductor edge.

7. knuckles357

Alright, thanks for all the help, it's 6am over here so I'm going to go to bed first, will post again when I'm up, about 8 hours time, thanks again !

8. surferdude2

surferdude2

OK, I'll check back tomorrow since when you get up it will be midnight here. :) Now it's just after 4 pm.

BTW, it is possible you have a failed video card/board component or corrupt driver. Try booting into Safe Mode. If you make it, see if you can use System restore to roll back to a time when it worked. Check for an updated video driver by using the Device Manager applet.

9. knuckles357

I think it is possible for me to make it boot
    in Safe mode, however without any display I'll still
    be lost, I'm going to turn it in to
    the computer shop again because the guy says he'll have another lookfor it, if
    it is the ram that is malfunctioning, would it he avisable for me to buy a new ram chip and install it myself?

10. knuckles357

I think it is possible for me to make it boot
    in Safe mode, however without any display I'll still
    be lost, I'm going to turn it in to
    the computer shop again because the guy says he'll have another lookfor it, if
    it is the ram that is malfunctioning, would it he avisable for me to buy a new ram chip and install it myself?

11. rawmethod

rawmethod

I have a desktop that I have same symptoms with. I bought a new CPU for it and when I install it there is no single bleep on start up like normal, and everything runs as you described but there is no video or apparent boot up. I have tried everything to get this working and I, and others have come to the assumption that the CPU is dead. I would imagine you have the same thing, except yours has failed where as mine just never worked. I have my old CPU installed again now and all is fine, so maybe you could try a diff CPU in yours if you or the guy at the shop has one. You may be thinking well maybe his CPU was not compatible, but I have checked the supported CPU list before purchase. I hope this helps in some way.

Regards

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice