1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no domain server available to validate your password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mama, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mama

mama Thread Starter

You have heard this time and time again but here is my problem. We have a NT server, 10 workstations running w98se, we use a hub, 10/100. We purchased a new computer for one of the workstations, we took the replaced one and moved it to a different workstation, then took that replaced station out completly. The computer we moved was giving us a lot of errors, I think the operator deleted more than just files, so I ended up re-formatting and re-loading W98se.
    I copied the protocol, workgroup, and domain down from all the other computers. I have "microsoft for networks", the adapter card"," netbui",and file and printer shareing. in the network setup. I have checked the "share level access control", log on to windows nt domain" and logon and restore places. I have also checked netbui as default.
    we only have one workgroup, and our domain and workgroup are named the same. when I boot up I get the "no domain server error" when I click cancel and go to nn I cannot see the other 9 computers but they can see me, they get an error if they try to access it. I have set up sharing on "my computer"
    I have looked at the user's on the server and I see nothing different for this computer.
    I tried removing all from the network setup , then disconnected the cable, then turned the computer back on, it found the adapter card, I installed the netbui again, and sharing etc. restared again but it still doesn't work.
    The old machine was using the cable and connected just fine, so I don't think it is a cable.
    I read all your postings on networking and saw one that said delete workstation from the server manager, if you think that would help would you tell me how to do that?
    Thank you

2. Monk_

Monk_

On the workstation you are having trouble with, go to Network>Identification and note the machine name. On the NT server go to Server Manager, delete that machine name and enter a new name for that workstation. On the workstation enter the new machine name and reboot. You should be able to join the Domain.

3. mama

mama Thread Starter

I think I know what the problem is, I did as you suggested and that didn't work either so plugged the workstation into my workstation cable and it did just fine, I then took my workstation and plugged it into the other workstation cable and got the same error.
    we are going to run another cable and see if that works.
    thanks for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice