1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No drive assigned to portable device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fitz, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

On inserting my memory stick into the USB port, the appropriate messages and icon appear on the taskbar, but there is no drive assigned to it in My Computer, and I cannot read any portable device.
    I've just had a new motherboard and processor fitted to my Mesh PC, but no change to the operating system.

2. norton850

norton850

Go into Disk Management (right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management). Do you see the drive there? If so what does it say about it?

3. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

It says "New Volume 246MB FAT Healthy"
    It just doesn't show up like it used to under "My Computer" and therefore I can no longer access it.

In Device Manager, under USB Ports there are eight items listed, most of them the same device repeated over. I don't know if this is normal.

4. norton850

norton850

What OS do you have?

5. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Windows XP Home Edition.
    I wasn't sure whether to place this in the Windows XP forum or in hardware, but, on further investigation, there appear to be one or two in this forum who have had similar but not identical problems.

6. norton850

norton850

I just reread your first post. So nothing works in the USB ports?

7. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

No. I've now tried all portable devices including digital camera, and, while it registers in the taskbar, it does not show in My Computer.
    I've taken it back to the place computer centre where they installed the new motherboard and CPU yesterday, and they are suggesting I reload Windows, which I may have to do, but it seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and I'm looking for other ways to put this right.

8. norton850

norton850

9. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I'm sure that this was not a problem before Friday's motherboard installation but I have a strong feeling that it would not be a good idea to try to restore the system to pre-Friday settings.
    I'm very nervous about registry modification, though I suspect it is a problem that may have its roots in there.
    I'm trying to figure out just what John Will's fix achieves with the line
    "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

Is the problem possibly that there are too many USB devices appearing?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The registry mod has nothing to do with the standard display of devices. All that does is allow you to see more "hidden" devices when you select the "display hidden devices". I've used this procedure on many systems, including my own.

The whole point of the registry driver clearing routine is to remove possibly incorrectly configured USB entries and let Windows refresh them when you connect the devices.

FWIW, there routinely are quite a few entries under USB controllers, depending on your installed equipment. For instance, here's this system I'm using.

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I don't know if this has any bearing, but I have tried several times to remove the USB root hub and other entries under USB Controllers in the Device Manager, but they always re-install themselves on rebooting.
    Will this not happen if the RegFix is applied?

I should add that none of my portable devices can be accessed even though they are all acknowledged on the taskbar as soon as I put them in.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course they re-install themselves on booting! They're necessary for the USB to function!

13. norton850

norton850

Who installed your new MB? Was it the same as your old one. Was Windows reinstalled?

14. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I believe they did a repair loading after fitting the MB.

15. norton850

norton850

I guess you could try a repair install. Do you have a Windows CD?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice