1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no drive detected?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Redribbon, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Redribbon

Redribbon Thread Starter

Hi,
    as I am trying to burn my video to DVD, when Iam clicking on create DVD I see the message "cannot detect a drive to write to". I have a cd writer in my PC so why am I seeing this message? Do I need something else in/on my PC?

2. Firebreather

Firebreather

To "write" onto a DVD you need a DVD writer, not a CD writer.
    A DVD writer is able to create DVDs as well as CDs. A CD writer, on the other hand, can create only CDs. :)

3. Redribbon

Redribbon Thread Starter

Hmm, that's what I thought initially but I just checked in My computer properties then into device manager and there in the list it says DVD/cd-rom drives. Does that still mean it doesn't have DVD writer?
    I have never used the PC for burning DVDs only cds so can't be sure.

4. wowzer

wowzer

when in device manager click the arrow next to dvd/cd-rom drives, that should tell you whats available.

5. Firebreather

Firebreather

As far as I know, DVD ROM's cannot write. ROM stands for "Read Only Memory" or in this case "Read Only Media".
    Can you write CDs using the same ROM drive?

Try with ImgBurn. If it doesn't work, your drive cannot write DVDs.

But first, look at the drive. You don't have to open up the computer, just look on the outside of the drive, does it say "writer" anywhere? If it is a writer, aka burner, then you should be able to burn DVD's. If not, then you will have to buy one.
    And can it read DVDs (play them)?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice