no drive detected?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Redribbon

Hi,
as I am trying to burn my video to DVD, when Iam clicking on create DVD I see the message "cannot detect a drive to write to". I have a cd writer in my PC so why am I seeing this message? Do I need something else in/on my PC?

To "write" onto a DVD you need a DVD writer, not a CD writer.
A DVD writer is able to create DVDs as well as CDs. A CD writer, on the other hand, can create only CDs. :)

Redribbon

Hmm, that's what I thought initially but I just checked in My computer properties then into device manager and there in the list it says DVD/cd-rom drives. Does that still mean it doesn't have DVD writer?
I have never used the PC for burning DVDs only cds so can't be sure.

when in device manager click the arrow next to dvd/cd-rom drives, that should tell you whats available.

Hmm, that's what I thought initially but I just checked in My computer properties then into device manager and there in the list it says DVD/cd-rom drives. Does that still mean it doesn't have DVD writer?
I have never used the PC for burning DVDs only cds so can't be sure.
As far as I know, DVD ROM's cannot write. ROM stands for "Read Only Memory" or in this case "Read Only Media".
Can you write CDs using the same ROM drive?

Try with ImgBurn. If it doesn't work, your drive cannot write DVDs.

But first, look at the drive. You don't have to open up the computer, just look on the outside of the drive, does it say "writer" anywhere? If it is a writer, aka burner, then you should be able to burn DVD's. If not, then you will have to buy one.
And can it read DVDs (play them)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online