1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No drive letter for 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ksjayhawker, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksjayhawker

ksjayhawker Thread Starter

I recently built a new computer and installed XP Pro. I just installed the hard drive from my old computer into my new one. My problem is XP will not assign it a drive letter. I went to disk management and it shows it there and that it is working properly. Is this just a quirk with XP or am I doing something wrong?

TIA,
    ksjayhawker

2. Dan O

Dan O

I recommend you use a Windows 98 SE Startup boot disk and run FDISK to check the second drive partition table and make sure the partition is Active. If you don't have one you can download one from www.bootdisk.com. Also check you BIOS to make sure the IDE channel is set to Auto.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/124570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice