1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NO drive!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tusmooth81, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tusmooth81

tusmooth81 Thread Starter

I have a DEll laptop, and when I turnit on it says there is no physical drive, I went into BIOS and changed the order the dirves loaded, and it worked, but then the next day I went to turn it on again, and it said no Physical drive, so I went in to BIOS and switched the way it loads up, but this time it didn't work, what do I do and what does this mean?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Might be that your battery for the CMOS is going bad- usually, the first symtpom of this is the date or date and time not showing right. Might be good idea to take it in and have the battery replaced. The CMOS battery is a small round coin type, this does not refer to the battery pack you use in place of AC power. The CMOS battery or Resume cell saves information for you- apparently, something to do with CMOS/BIOS settings is not functioning right. Try charging the computer's battery pack fully. Dell may have some info for you- can you go to the support area for your model of laptop and look around?
    Just from what I have read, battery packs sometimes need to be almost fully drained and then fully recharged....but, that may or may not be true for your Dell, so look there first, OK?
    As you may already know- at the Dell support area, you can sign into your account if you have made one, or create one then, or just type in your Service Tag ID, found usually underneath the pc for laptops, to reach support info your your model.

3. tusmooth81

So if I replace the CMOS battery, the drive should show up and be back to normal?

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

If its the battery casuing the problem then replacing it will fix the problem. Is it the hard drive thats not showing up? It could be the hard drive thats going bad.

Dell has diagnostics that you can download on the Dell web site to test most of the system out.

5. tusmooth81

yeah its the C: drive thats not showing up, I cant get into windows.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

You could try reseating the hard drive. Is the drive spinning up? is the drive being detected in the computers bios? Can you post the model type or service tag?

7. tusmooth81

The drive is detected throught he BIOS, and the Model number is Inspiron 8000

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Listen to the drive and see if it's spinning. It sounds like a very slow startup issue, hard to say...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice