No driver for your network adapter found

ckc17

Hi,
I have a problem with an old computer which although being low spec for current windows 10 has been running satisfactorily, though slow, until now.
This is a Acer Aspire AX3300.
After not using it since the end of July, switching on today i get the message, No Internet.
Running Windows Network Diagnostics, problem found is, 'Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter.'
I know little to nothing about computers, could you guys please help me again, 'How do I get a driver for my network adapter'
Help and advice will be much appreciated has it has been in the past.

ckc17

Hi Ramon, just had a look and it is showing drivers for wireless LAN but my computer has always been connected by cable and as far as i know does not have wireless capability

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the exact SNID number and serial number on your Acer Aspire AX3300 desktop?

Once its support site can be located, we can determine what hardware it came with and why it may be running slow.

------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It seems that Acer does not have Window 10 drivers so Windows 10 may have had a generic driver.

Go to Device Manager and find the network card (should have a yellow ! mark... it may be under Other Devices > PCI Communication Device). Right click on that and choose Properties. Under the Details tab, click on drop down to choose Hardware IDs. Please notate the VEN and DEV numbers. For example, mine is VEN=8086 and DEV=15BC

1600795080478.png

ckc17

What is the exact SNID number and serial number on your Acer Aspire AX3300 desktop?

Once its support site can be located, we can determine what hardware it came with and why it may be running slow.

hi Frank, thanks for the the response. The slow running is not the problem, i expect that from that old m/c. I think you commented on that some time back. The problem now is not being able to access the internet, 'Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter' I have not used the Acer since July and seem to remember when I did I downloaded an update. Problem now is how to get the driver for the network adapter.
SNID : 02001472630.
Serial No : PVSBXE2032020039863000
Mfg Date 2010/5/20
Originally Windows 7 updated to 10 when 10 became available, cant remember the date.
My time has been somewhat fragmented today, I will now look at James response and come back to you.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think your computer is too old for Acer to care to have it on their site. The serial number shows as cannot find device and the SNID pulls up a monitor... so now we are going to look at the individual component.

ckc17

It seems that Acer does not have Window 10 drivers so Windows 10 may have had a generic driver.

Go to Device Manager and find the network card (should have a yellow ! mark... it may be under Other Devices > PCI Communication Device). Right click on that and choose Properties. Under the Details tab, click on drop down to choose Hardware IDs. Please notate the VEN and DEV numbers. For example, mine is VEN=8086 and DEV=15BC

View attachment 281129
Hi James, Looking at Device Manager, no yellow marks and no 'Other Devices'. There is Network adapters, right click on that shows 8 WAN Miniports. I can see no Ethernet connection.
I know it's an old machine but do not know why this should suddenly happen. Thanks for your help.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's possible that the Ethernet port may have become defective now or Windows doesn't see it if Device Manager does not show anything under Other Devices or Network Adapters.

Do you see any link light on the port itself, or on the router to indicate there is a physical connection?

ckc17

I think your computer is too old for Acer to care to have it on their site. The serial number shows as cannot find device and the SNID pulls up a monitor... so now we are going to look at the individual component.
Sorry we have just crossed messages. I will wait for your next advice. Thanks.

ckc17

It's possible that the Ethernet port may have become defective now or Windows doesn't see it if Device Manager does not show anything under Other Devices or Network Adapters.

Do you see any link light on the port itself, or on the router to indicate there is a physical connection?
There is a light both ends of the Connection. I have disconnected and reconnected to ensure both are seated properly. I have another Ethernet cable being used to the computer I'm sending this on, would it be worth switching cables to confirm it is not a damaged wire connection problem?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is a light both ends of the Connection. I have disconnected and reconnected to ensure both are seated properly. I have another Ethernet cable being used to the computer I'm sending this on, would it be worth switching cables to confirm it is not a damaged wire connection problem?
Well the link lights show you have a physical connection... which means Windows does not see the device. I suspect an update has made that device non-functional in Windows. To confirm, you can try a Live CD of Linux (it doesn't install, just runs from CD or USB) and see if Linux sees the network card and if it does, then I guess it's an incompatibility issue and you would need to get a USB to Ethernet dongle.

ckc17

Well the link lights show you have a physical connection... which means Windows does not see the device. I suspect an update has made that device non-functional in Windows. To confirm, you can try a Live CD of Linux (it doesn't install, just runs from CD or USB) and see if Linux sees the network card and if it does, then I guess it's an incompatibility issue and you would need to get a USB to Ethernet dongle.
Sorry James, I have no idea what a Live CD of Linux is, how to get it or how to use it. It's been a long and exhausting day for me, I'm knackered so will have to pick up on this tomorrow. Thanks for your help and patients.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online