1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage for installation.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheCamster, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheCamster

TheCamster Thread Starter

I'm struggling with a problem with a new build that I volunteered to do for a friend recently. I got everything put together fine but then when I went to install windows no hard drive appears. I've tested different sata cables and ports and the problem doesn't lie there, I can also see the HDD in the bios but when windows goes looking for the HDD it won't find it. This seems to commonly be a driver issue so I looked into that also, downloaded and installed the "Intel desktop/workstation/server express chip set sata ahci controller but that didn't help either. To test the drive itself I put it in a different PC and formatted, assigned a drive letter to it and everything works fine.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The mobo is a gigabyte h61ma-dv2 and the HDD is a WD Green 500gb drive

2. dai

dai

set sata to be seen as ide in the bios

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What operating system are you trying to install? What OS did you use to format it? Vista and above should be partitioned and formatted on machines with Vista or above since partition structure changed. In any case, there should be no need to use another machine since setup will prepare the drive (once it sees it).

(The drive letter is gone from the drive as soon as you turn off the machine it is attached to. So it will not necessarily be the same drive letter on the problem machine.)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to the support page for that board and download the pre-install driver. Depending on what os you are installing, you can put this driver on a flash drive or if using xp, it must go on a floppy. Here is the support page for your board;

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4090#dl

Note you can also do what dai posted and set the sata mode to ide or sometimes it is called legacy mode. This will insure that setup finds the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice