no executables / icons changed XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ranchopedro

i have a machine sitting next to me that is ill. all icons for progam links have changed, cant execute anything from anywhere, ie. regedit from run, anything on desktop etc....
ideas ?
i could put drive in another machine and scan it that way.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
What happens when you attempt to run from the desktop? Is it just icons changed, or do they no longer run.
And, Regedit via the Run. It just starts and then finishes?

Do programs run via Start > Programs.?

ranchopedro

ad-aware is run from any icon, regardless of where, desktop/start/allprograms.

from the run prompt: windows can not open this file, for things like regedit/ msconfig

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
"ad-aware is run from any icon, regardless of where, desktop/start/allprograms."

In your first post you said the programs didn't run when you clicked on tem. Are you now saying that when you click on an icon, "AdAware" runs?? AdAware, as in the Spyware program???

"from the run prompt: windows can not open this file, for things like regedit/ msconfig"

Please post the exact message you are getting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online