1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No fax dial tone in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oao, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oao

oao Thread Starter

I had my laptop serviced by the manufacturer. I had the hard disk restored from
    backup and I ran into a problem with the fax which had not existed before the
    service. I am trying to establish whether the problem is with the hardware
    which requires to send the laptop back.

I have one phone line which I split into two by inserting 2 RJ11 cables into
    a dual connector: one goes to the phone, one to the laptop/fax. I use one
    device at a time, of course.

When I try to fax from the laptop I don't get a dial tone. I also noticed that
    as long as the fax line is inserted into the connector, the phone does not get
    a dial tone either; when I disconnect the laptop fax cable, the phone tone comes back.

The following error occurs in the Windows Event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Microsoft Fax
    Event Category: Initialization/Termination
    Event ID: 32105
    Date: 10/1/2009
    Time: 9:09:49 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: GATEWAY
    Description:
    Activity logging is disabled because the Fax service cannot access the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\ActivityLog specified for the activity log. You can modify the location of the activity log from Fax Service Manager. For more information, see Troubleshooting in Fax Service Manager help.
    Win32 Error Code: 5
    This error code indicates the cause of the error.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I checked and everything is OK with the log files -- they are all there with the proper permissions.

I did the following to no avail:

1. Switched cables
    2. Edited the predial command in the registry to not wait for the dial tone
    3. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows fax component
    3. Reinstalled the modem driver

It looks like the laptop kills the phone line for both phone and fax.

Any ideas?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

If plugging the phone line into the laptop's RJ-11 connector kills the dial tone then it's a hardware problem. Check to make sure the wires in the socket are not bent/crossed. Could be plugging in the cable is shorting the pins together. In that case it will happen even when the laptop is shut down.

If they look OK, I'd be contacting the manufacturer.

3. oao

oao Thread Starter

That's sort of what I figured.

I don't see anything wrong with the splitter -- the two holes are separated -- but when I shut down the laptop the dialtone still gets lost.

So it looks like it's not the laptop.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If connecting to the laptop when the laptop is off kills the dial tone, then it is the laptop. The laptop being off just eliminates the possibility that it's a software issue and confirms it's the hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice