1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No files on old hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stealthz, Sep 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I have two hard drives from a PC that are over 10 years old. I had a bunch of files on them, and they've basically been stored in my desk, always at room temperature for that time. When I try hooking it up to my laptop via external hard drive connector, there are no files on either of these two hard drives. Does this mean that both hard drives have no files on them, or is it possible that the problem lies with the external hard drive connector?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What type of "external HDD connector" are you using? When connected does file explorer show the drive

3. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I'm using Rosewell "data storage" external HD. The drive shows in windows explorer, but shows no files. The external hard drive is not exactly new either, but has always been kept in my desk, at room temperature.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I honestly don't know the model. I'm not even sure I see it on that website. Is there anywhere to look on the item to indicate the model? Yes, the hard drives are IDE

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

If this external hard drive is USB, try all the USB ports, sometimes USB ports fail.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If I understand, you have an old IDE hard drive placed into a Rosewell case and are attaching it by a USB cable to a laptop computer.
    The USB port of a laptop might not have enough power to load an old hard drive just connected by a USB cord.

I use an adapter that comes with a power supply as well as a USB cord.

You could remove the hard drive from the Rosewell case, and buy a powered adapter/connector. Or perhaps ask a friend with a desktop computer to attach the drive and see if it is recognized and the files can be seen.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Good catch!

9. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

The external hard drive adapter does have a power supply. It goes from the power supply>to external HD and external HD> to USB port< to laptop.

One thing I did notice is that there is a voltage selector that allows you to select 15V, 16V, 18V, 19V, 20V, 22V, 24V. How do I know which voltage to use? I seem to remember YEARS ago when I first got this that the voltage had to be on a certain one. I don't want to just try everyone and risk messing up the data if it's there there...

Thanks for the help.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If these files are important to you, the very first thing I would do would be to remove the drive or drives from the external housing. Find an old system with an ide port. Connect the drives one at a time as an internal drive and see if you can access these drives. Note when connecting an old ide type drive, you need to set the jumper. If using a color coded ide cable, then probably CS or cable select. Using an even older non-color coded cable, then master or slave.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

Sounds like a universal power supply for a laptop NOT AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ADAPTER! Most laptop power supply's or 19 or 20 volts. An IDE hard drive needs a molex connector that supplies 12 volts and 5 volts. It is possible the hard drive adapter has a regulator inside but unlikely.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice