1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No firewall on dial-up

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Joseph King, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

I usually run DSL through an external router, which I'm told is every bit as good as a software firewall and has the added advantage of being without the potential complications that software firewalls tend to introduce. I'm the owner of a business and don't have time for playing games nor can I risk the security of the data/system.

The DSL has been down for a few days because of a major problem after the hurricanes hit Florida, and I'm using the dial-up connection (aaarrrggghhhh) in the meanwhile. Looks like it could be a few more days before the DSL is back.

It just dawned on me I don't have the security of the router, nor a firewall.

How bad is this? (Is dial-up as bad of exposure as DSL without security?)

If it's bad, how do I get a user-friendly firewall up and running fast without any prior experience to firewalls and little time for a learning curve? And how do I then check to see if I was compromised? (I currently run W98SE, Norton Anti-Virus with constant updating, and Ad-Aware SE Professional when I run it manually.)

THANKS!

Jay

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a read here for firewalls http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html- on dialup should not be such an issue - however, its so simple to put a firewall on a PC I would just have it anyway & there are some free ones

3. winchester73

winchester73

A firewall is never a bad idea ...

When you use a dial-up modem, your IP address changes every time you connect ... it's difficult for a hacker to find you repeatedly (needed to break into your computer).

Always on (like DSL or cable) means always vulnerable ... hence the router or a firewall "requirement" ...

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

For a free software firewall, ZoneAlarm appears to be easy, friendly and adequate for a dial-up account. Look for it at cnet.com download site.

AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus (freeware) has a realtime scanner.

I also use PC-cillin Internet Security - very up-to-date anti-virus from TrendMicro, also with a realtime scanner, but not free.

I use Ad-Aware SE Personal from Lavasoft, SpyBot Search & Destroy, and Aluria's free Spyware Elimiator - just because I get different results from each, though some are false positives which need a decision to nuke them or not. Also, use SpySites which doesn't update very often, and CWShredder.

Also use Spyware Blaster (recommended), and of course, even though I have IE for use, I have switched to Mozilla and FireFox for added security (www.mozilla.org).

-- Tom

P.S. All of this is on a Win98SE PC.

5. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

Thanks, etaf, but the link doesn't seem to be working.

Jay

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice