Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"no hard disk detected" but is detected in bios setup

760 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jellydonut30 
#1 · (Edited)
update: using the advanced options "Explorer" function I can see all my data so I am going to continue hoping this hard drive is ok and just need to solve why its not being identified during the boot.

I started having issues the day I added a CD drive and was an external hdd. I have unplugged the cd drive since and after finding it in boot preferences removed it there as well. I have read that my addition of hardware may be responsible for this inability to detect my hard drive while all the files seem intact and viewable inside the explorer.

I picked up a computer off craiglist was thoroughly enjoying my gtx geforce 680 ( https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/sys/6239989909.html ) when it "crashed" about 6 hours after purchase.When I rebooted I received the "no hard disk detected" message. Upon launching bios setup the hard drive is listed with details as being attached to its corresponding sata port. I am trying to determine if my hard drive is broken or if it needs remounting or some other sort of procedure.

The hard drive is a slightly dated WD Carver 1 TB SATA internal drive interacting with an asus motherboard. I did notice the boot order for drives had been rearranged putting an external and an optical disk drive in position 1 and 2 for boot directories. I disabled both the external and optical disc and selected the WD sata drive as the first preference for booting. Still I am getting the same error. I read somewhere that if the bios is recognized in setup but is still not recognized for booting that I may need to run a 32bit diagnostic. The forum I saw the diagnostic post mentioned on was in reference to a dell machine. I don't really know what this is or if it exists on my ASUS mother board.

In short: how can I tell If my hard drive needs replacement?

If Bios recognizing the drive is sign of life how can I get my computer to recognize this drive again?

are there any programs I could download on my laptop and put on my external that could be used to boot and run diagnostics on this hard drive?

Please if you have any advice, even perhaps on the future necessity for brevity in my posts, I would be most grateful.

Best-J

update: using the advanced options "Explorer" function I can see all my data so I am going to continue hoping this hard drive is ok and just need to solve why its not being identified during the boot.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.