1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NO Hard drive detected after unplugging cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davephil, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

I'm working on a friends OLDER pc.. P133, 48mb,1.2gb, WIN95. I suspected memory failure because of several BSOD screens. Using memtest86, it was confirmed. I pulled 2 of 4 memory chips out. In order to get at them, I had to pull the cd and IDE cables from mb. I powered up pc, without re-connecting the 2 cables (duh), and of course wouldn't boot. so I powered down, re-connected cables, and now system will not recognize hard drive. The bios will not auto-detect, and even if I enter User-defined values for hard drive, it still will not detect. I changed to new cables, still nothing. When I boot up, system tells me HARD DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Inserting Startup diskette, I get msg "no drives found, aborting installation", then goes back to A:. Any ideas?

2. angel

angel

Is the HD on a cable on it's own? Master or cable select?
    Does BIOS detect cd-rom drive?
    Have you tried swapping controllers (cd-rom to primary and HD to secondary)?

Also, and I'm sorry for asking but you just never know, you did plug the power back in to the drive, right?

3. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

yes the hd is on its own cable. the power cable is also in. I had to lookup (west.digital website) to find out pin locations. It's a master, no slave or cable-select. yes, bios recognizes cd. I actually switched the power cable between the cd and hard drive, the cd still worked, so the hard drive is getting power. There is no secondary ide controller on mb, so the only thing I COULD do is literally switch the hd and cd.. the cd into the ide, and the hd into the cd controller--but have never tried that.

4. angel

angel

I thought you said there were two IDE cables? Each of them is plugged into it's own controller (2 controllers on board). Swap the cd-rom and the HD around. That will determine if it's a controller issue.

5. angel

angel

And then if that doesn't work, pull out the HD and try it in another pc just to see if it's detected. Technically, if the jumper is correct, new cables tried, and different controller tried - if it still doesn't work, that usually narrows it down to the drive.

6. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

When I said "cables" I meant one cd and one ide cable--sorry. I switched the hd and cd cables. The cd drive light works. Do I need to jumper the hard drive to something other than master? thanks again.

7. angel

angel

the hd and cd-rom drive are on separate cables, yes? the cd-rom drives uses an ide cable also. Assuming the hd is the only device on that cable, master is fine.

What does BIOS say now?

8. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

yes, the cd and hd are on separate cables. went into bios, auto-detect, and it recognized the drive as secondary master...everything looked good there. but when I saved and exited bios, however, when re-booting, it says "detecting hdd primary master: none", then the disk boot failure. I went back into bios, and the drive is there as sec.master.

9. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

I tried using a win95 startup diskette. I went into fdisk, and it says "no fixed disks present". I don't understand how bios can recognize it and fdisk cannot??

10. angel

angel

Check BIOS for boot disk or boot order.
    The prob now is that there is no HD on primary master, it's on secondary master.
    You should be able to set all to Auto, make sure boot disk is the hd in BIOS and use the computer. But the cd-rom drive isn't going to work. You've narrowed it down to the onboard primary ide controller. You can plug the cd-rom druve into the secondary channel with the HD. Set the HD as Master and the CD-rom drive as slave.
    So, at this point, keep it as is and not use the primary channel, get a new board, or purchase and addin ide card.

11. angel

angel

Ok, that is weird.
    Plug both the cd-rom drive and hd into secondary ide channel as described above. In Bios, disable Primary entirely. Confirm jumpers are correct.
    Confirm boot device is HD.

Let me know

12. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

the only choices I have for boot sequence is a,c OR c,a. I see no choices for 'auto'. as for the hd, the primary master/slave says 'none', the sec.master says 'user', the sec.slave says 'none'. when I set the sec.master to 'auto', it reverts back to 'user' after it actually auto-detects the drive...don't know if that's important. thanks.

13. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

well... here goes. just for fun, I changed the hd and cd cables back to their orig.locations. hd on primary ide, cd on cd controller. when I reboot, the hard drive was recognized! I then found out the this hard drive needs to have the "logical block ..." LBA addressed. After changing to lba, it re-booted right into windows!
    Very, very strange!. Thanks for all the help... I might not be done yet.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/261940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice