No hard drives detected,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

malcy

Hi.

I'll try and be as concise as possible.

I have a PC running XP and VistaHP (on separate HDs).
Vista boots fine and I can see my 'C' drive on Disk1 and all the folders including Windows through (My) Computer in Vista.

XP will not boot with the message \system32\config\system corrupt or missing.
In Recovery console, after pressing 'R' it states that no hard drives have been detected.
When I try to install a new copy of Windows it also says no HD have been detected.
I've been down the MS Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset. When ERD commander launches and I attempt any kind of recovery I see 'Windows Installation is not set'.
In BIOS I can see both HDs and the clock appears to keep good time (CMOS battery).
The fact Vista runs fine with no problems (hence this post) seems to suggest the Motherboard is OK.

I'm getting so much grief I don't know where to turn to next.

I hope, really hope someone out there can help.

Mal.

jrbuergel

Jim
This can be from a partition table which got cleared or deleted, which is located next to your windows XP boot code, which are both part of the master boot record. I had a issue like this with a dual boot (XP and Linux), and I used a tool called Test Disk to rebuild the partition table. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk , this tool can be run from a bootable CD such as this; http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/systemrescuecd , so order this disk, and more help; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_table

Yesterday I had a boot failure and for all intents and purposes my 7 year old computer was dead. The night before, everything seemed fine when I turned it off. I fussed with two different restore disks during the day and then went to the Bios and found the floppy and CD drives "disabled" and the hard drive missing completely, as if it had never existed. No wonder the restore disks didn't work!

Don't ask me what made me do it, but I took the cover off the computer and vacuumed dust from the inside, then made sure the connections were all solid, and put it all back together again. Getting the cover back on wasn't easy, and at one point I really jolted it, sort of like the kick of a TV sometimes makes it work. :) I don't recommend that part, but I do wonder why when it was all plugged back in again, i turned it on and everything worked as it had the night before.

So maybe all your computer needs is vacuuming. It's worth a try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online