1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no headphone output on creative audigy sb card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badperson, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badperson

badperson Thread Starter

Hi,
    put together a new build,
    tyan s2932e mobo, amd operon chips,
    win xp/kubuntu dual boot.

in xp,
    card is detected in device manager,
    drivers are at most current version
    according to device manager, everything is fine.
    ran the creative diagnostic utilities, according to that, everything is fine.
    Went through the windows troubleshooting guide, didn't help.
    went through the creative manual, made sure connections were good, still the same problem.
    looked at all the system vol settings, they were all good, no "mute all" selected or anything like that.
    card is selected and enabled, it's pci slot is listed in device manager.

I changed the bios setting so that the os handles all the plug and play stuff, I didn't see any other audio settings in bios, and I looked through the mobo manual and didn't see any onboard audio to disable.

In kubuntu,
    I in system settings\sound system, the hard ware was listed as auto detect...didn't see the hardware in the drop down.

tried two sets of headphones in all the jacks.
    I'm new to kubuntu (used to gnome), so the troubleshooting I did in xp was a lot more extensive, but it feels like that card should have no problem running with xp, and it appears the system thinks it works....

I haven't tried attaching speakers to the card and seeing if I get audio from there...I tried all the jacks on the card itself (the audio isn't hooked up on the case), I'm wondering if that's the problem? maybe the d/a conversion needs to happen in the speakers?

I need new speakers anyway, so I may try that.

Any ideas?
    bp

2. badperson

badperson Thread Starter

an addendum;

A friend pointed out that there is an aux input on the card it self (middle picture, upper right), but I don't see any thing on the drive

I don't believe my mobo has onboard audio, but I'll look again.

I'm wondering if there are good speakers that handle the d/a conversion, may try that.

I figure this is such a ubiquitous card, it can't be a hardware issue.
    bp

3. badperson

badperson Thread Starter

okay,
    I've been looking around, and it appears I have the card in a pci-x slot, and I think it calls for just a pci...could that be the problem? I only have one regular pci slot on my mobo; and it's taken by another card.

If that is it, it's weird that the system detects it, though.
    bp

4. badperson

badperson Thread Starter

through in the towel and bought a new sound card...soundblaster x-fi xtreme audio fatality something or other.

fits in a pci-express slot, not sure if that's what mad the difference, just happy it works. Will try the one that didn't work in a different machine and see what happens.
    bp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice