1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no headphone output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DictatorDrac, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DictatorDrac

DictatorDrac Thread Starter

i'm not getting any headphone output at all on my laptop. no idea why. i haven't changed any software or hardware between the time it worked and stopped working. it's a possibility of physical damage seeing as how i carry it in my bag all day, but i'm pretty careful. any idea if it's software or hardware related? should i just make good on the warranty?

comp specs:
    Dell Inspiron E1705
    WinXP Home SP2
    1.8 GHz Core Duo
    1 GB DDR RAM

i'm sure vid card and hard drive don't matter too much with this, and i have no idea what my audio device is. i would imagine it's on the motherboard.

i have an external audio device that connects with a firewire, so i'll make sure that works for the hell of it once i get back to my dorm around 10pm EST >.<. all other peripherals work nominally.

much thanks.

2. Zman1764

Zman1764

maybe something on the inside died or got disconnected, seeing as you carry it in a bag all day. I guess the only real way to fix it is tto send it back to dell and have them repair it, otherwise you cna buy sound cards for the PC Card slots on the laptop (I know creative makes many of these).

3. DictatorDrac

seems to make the most sense. won't installing a new soundcard void the warranty? eh, i need a good excuse to upgrade the RAM anyway. also, how will i know what's compatible? and any idea of a good price range?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Any "soundcard" that you could install on a laptop would be an external USB or a PCMCIA slot one, so I don't see any possibility of voiding a warranty?

But if your sound has failed, and the laptop is under warranty, then its not your problem?

However its just as likely to be the audio drivers that have been lost, so you should reload the motherboard chipset drivers first.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You haven't indicated whether the headphone works in another computer, or anything else works from the output jack. I assume sound works with no issues other than the speaker out jack and what is connected to it.

Try wiggling the plug around a little to see if you get any action. You could have a problem with the jack itself.

6. DictatorDrac

i've tried several different headphones that work on other devices. i've tried wiggling the jack around with no avail. the computer realizes the headphones are in because external sound stops, but there's no output through the headphones.

the input feels loose, but the mic line out is tight. i think it's physical damage.

any ideas how to fix it myself? i really can't afford to send it to Dell and wait for a fix.

EDIT: also, i tried my external firewire audio device, and it works perfectly. thing is, it needs power to work, and i don't always have access to a power outlet when i'm working.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it's under warranty you would be better off sending it to Dell.

It is either a damaged jack or damaged sound chip -- assuming sound is otherwise normal.

The jack is probably of some make/break type where it is breaking the continuity to the internal speaker, but not making contact to the headphone or other plugged in speaker.

It might be possible for you to dissasemble the laptop (Dell usually has instructions for this on their site) and test the jack connections internally if you really know what you are doing -- but I wouldn't recommend this as it's a longshot at best, and even if the jack is the problem it would be very difficult for you to replace if that were necessary.

8. DictatorDrac

alrighty. looks like i'll be using pen and paper for a bit.

thanks a ton ^.^

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice