1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Host File

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by whatupdiggadydog, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatupdiggadydog

whatupdiggadydog Thread Starter

Jun 22, 2011
    I have no host file in C, Windows, System 32, Drivers, Etc. I have the folder set to show hidden files and folders but its still not there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using Vista.
  2. btop

btop Guest

Jun 10, 2011
    The standard hosts file only has these 2 entries (plus some comments): localhost
    ::1 localhost

Create a file in Notepad or other plain text editor, and add that data into it. The IP addresses must be written all the way to the left, followed by space, then the name. Typically the space in between is a tab. Each entry must be on its own line. Name the file hosts (notice the spelling) and save it without an extension. Notepad adds the .txt extension, so remove that. Place it into the same subdirectory that you provided.

As I said above, the standard file also has comments. Would you like those as well?

The big question is: What happened to the original? Malware will often mess with it.
  3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Mar 9, 2009
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003624