1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No 'hosts' file in system32\drivers\etc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mapexmbirch, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mapexmbirch

mapexmbirch Thread Starter

My computer is running fine without this file I just wanted to restore a older version of iOS for my iPod Touch and I apparently need to edit this file. Step 3

I know that I can create the 'hosts' file with MS Notepad but when I go to save it I get the message attached.

In the etc folder I have 'lmhosts' 'networks' 'protocol' and 'services'

This may help:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4057 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1805 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 290204 MB, Free - 63897 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 5592 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G848F
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

1) You need to elevate your permissions. When you run notepad right click on it and Run As Admin.

2) The hosts file does not get a file extension.

3. mapexmbirch

I tried this already but it didn't work.

Still giving me the same message when I take off the .txt

Attached Files:

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If using Notepad to edit the file, make sure to change the Save as Type: box to All files. Otherwise, Notepad may add a .txt extension to the file which will keep it from working. Looks like that's what happened to you (first screenshot in post #3). If you don't have your system set to show extensions, it's easy to miss that.

My Hosts File is Missing!

How to Reset Hosts File Back to Default

5. mapexmbirch

Thanks for all your suggestions. I probably should of said in the first place that I had tried them already. But I fixed it myself.

I went onto a college computer and copied the host file off that then when I got home I pasted it into the \etc\ and tried to edit it with notepad it then gave the usual crap. So then I pasted it back onto my memory stick edited it there and then pasted it back into \etc\.

For some reason it seem to let me edit it when in another folder other than \etc\.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice