1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no image after reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sjimpey, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

HI!

I have a large problem with my computer. I had to restart it yesterday because i changed some things in Msconfig, but when it startet again i got no image on my screen. I have tested my screen on another computer and it works great. I have also checked the cables, and they work too, but my screen keeps repeating : No Signal Detected. What could be the problem? Could it be the Graphics card?

My specs are:
    AMD 3500+
    Sapphire Radeon x800 xt
    BenQ fp937s+

Ask if i missed something out..

Please help me.. Im really boored...:(

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

Yes, it could be the video card...or the motherboard, power supply or even the RAM. Start by reseating everything, and checking all of the connections. If that doesn't solve the problem, check all of the power supply rails with a tester. If that doesn't indicate a problem, exchange the video card with a known good one. If still no solution, then it's probably the motherboard.

3. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

hmm.. I dont have another card to exchange it with. but i will test the power supply as soon as possible. I have also reseated everything allready, and it didnt work...

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

Also, remove the motherboard and install only the video card, one stick of ram, connected to the power supply and monitor to see if you get the BIOS screens. Be sure to place everything on a nonconductive surface. To switch the power on, short across the power switch pins on the motherboard.

5. HomicidalWookie

HomicidalWookie

I was having a similar problem, if your motherboard uses a ATX12V connector, make sure it's attached properly.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Seems to me this may be the source of your problems.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you tap F8 and get into Safe Mode and put back whatever you took out of startup or choose "Last good configuaration"...you could also boot to recovery console and try system restore.

8. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

i dont think its the msconfig, cos then i would atleast get the startup and bios.. I dont get any image on the screen at all... And the things i changed in msconfig a program in startup. Now quicktime wont bother me. I have done that alot of times with quicktime( each time i install a new version of iTunes) So i know it doesnt mess anything up...

So its nothing with windows, and nothing with modes of windows either...

I checked the power supply yesterday with a tester, and everything seemed fine. I also changed the power supply into the graphics card with another one i know work. ( HDD-- it makes alot of noice when it starts, so i know it works, and it did)

I will go to a friend today and borrow his old graph-card, and see if it works then. And if it does i will buy a new one..

But how long does the garanty usualy work? My gpu is more than a year old...

Thx guys!

9. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

ok. I have another graphics card here, and its not working. I mean the computer. The card should be alright. And i dont think its the Power supply either! I checked it, and everything semes alright. All the neon and sounds that usually comes in a startup is there, and nothing indicates that the power alright is gone for..

So what im left with then is the RAM. My buddy is over at his place now getting his RAM and we are gonna check it out.

I actually think it is the ram now, because i have overclocked my cpu, and my ram followed along. So when i started having trouble with my ram, i had to "Downclock it". I sat it down to a lower MhZ, so after the clock was done, it has almost the same MhZ as it did to start with.

Lets see if the RAM works..

We have also reset the cmos, in hope the ram would come to its senses... It didnt work... So some extra overclock work for me but mabye a working computer.. And for those who think its the CPU who is to heated or anything. I have a huge fan over it, and it keeps it about 30 C in idle mode.. So nothing should say that its too hot.

EDIT:
    hmm.. We now tried to pull everything out, and just having one ram, gpu card and cpu in, and running it... Nothing happend.. All noice came, but no image.. :(
    We also tried with new ram, and it didnt work. All we can figure now, is that its the motherboard. I cant really figure out why, but it must be. Its the only thing left that can stop image from showing.
    Any new suggestions would be GREAT!

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you try to reset the board by the jumper rather than just pulling the battery as many boards do not respond to simply the battery pulled out? If it won't rest then it is the board, often the price for overclocking on an inexpensive board.

11. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

yes, I resat it through the jumper. I will try tomorrow with another motherboard, and see if the graphics-card works there.

EDIT: My friend took the graphics-card home with him and tested it out, and it worked. So it has to be the motherboard. We will try on another board tomorrow, with all the same hardware, and see if it works:)

12. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

Today i am really pissed! I borrowed a motherboard from my good friend, and we tried it with the graphicscard and the ram and cpu...

And it didnt work... We changed the ram, and it didnt work. Then we changed the gpu, and it didnt work. The motherboard, gpu and ram we tried was all from his original computer he uses everyday, and we know that it works... So it has to be my cpu that has gone mad... I have Overclocked it from 2200 to 2700, but i had such large fan over it i didnt think it could take any damage.. It seems like it did... :(

So on Monday i will probably have to buy myself a new cpu... :( So thanks for the help guys! Atleast now i know how to check my hardware for flaws... ^^

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Much as I never advise anyone to overclock, I doubt that fried the cpu. Take a magnifying glass and realy carefully look at all for corners turning the cpu in your hand as you are doing it because I would more than bet there are sone bent pins. It is really easy to do ( I am living proof) and very hard to see, especially if you had some effort pulling it out, then a pin could be stuck in the first motherboard.

14. Sjimpey

Sjimpey Thread Starter

wow.. never thought of that! I will do so right away! But what do I do if I find one? Claim its not my fault? Try to send it back to the seller, and claim a new one?

Well.. ill deal with that if I find one:)

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can send them back for repair and they are usual pretty liberal about replacing what they do not fix...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice