No input device to complete Vista RC1 installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

onion_kid

Hello =)

I recently started an installation of Windows Vista RC1, which seemed to progress fine until it got to one of the final stages, where the configuration of regional settings, preferences, etc. are set. At this point after boot-up, I have no input control. Neither keyboards or mice (PS/2 or USB) have any effect.

My keyboard NumLock light stays on, but doesn't respond to any Lock toggling (similar to keyboard behaviour when a system has hung). After a while, if the energy-saving screen shut-off occurs, it still responds when I press the main power button - so I think it can't be a hang.

I still have keyboard control for BIOS setup and for Windows F8 advanced start-up options, which suggests to me that it might be a driver problem within Windows.

I also can't properly enter safe mode, as I'm given a message advising that the installation can't be completed in safe mode, and that the system must be restarted. It doesn't seem to make any difference, though, as I'm not even able to 'Ok' this message box with either the keyboard or mouse.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions for what I might try.

Thank you for your help!

Adam

Hey i once had a problem like that with xp it would not detect any thing usb properly it was because the installation files were corupted so i think this is what is happening with u i sergest you reformat your hard drive and install xp Vista RC1 is a beta so i can not expect it to work perfectly u can try installing it again but i sergest u install xp back onto ur system once ur com is reformated

onion_kid

Thanks for the reply! Well, maybe this is the same thing - although my problem seems to apply to ps/2 devices as well. It's frustrating! I'm reluctant to go back to XP so quickly; the keyboard and mouse just seem such unsophisticated things to have a problem with... - out of everything that could go wrong, I wouldn't have imagined it'd be those. I went for an upgrade to my existing XP-SP2, after backing-up, so maybe I'd have more luck with a clean install, before I give up altogether.

If anyone has any last-ditch ideas for a driver patch, so I can avoid wiping everything, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Thanks!

check to see if u have installed all of your drivers like usb drivers, moniter drivers, sound drivers and so on other wise if the problem keeps happening reformat and use xp again

onion_kid

Well, I can't get in, to use anything in Vista itself - I can't get past the end of the installation, so I'm not sure how I would verify what drivers are loaded. The screen displays fine, and at my monitor's native resolution, so I imagine that those drivers are fine.

Interestingly, I can use the Vista repair console, if I boot to the install CD. That features a windowed command prompt, a version of notepad.exe, and - eventually - an explorer.exe-ish means of viewing the file system. Both my ps/2 keyboard and mouse work fine here. What could be going wrong among the Vista device drivers? :confused:

Ok well i sergest you format your computer and leave xp installed because vista is a bit buggy untill it is released i was thinking about installing RC1 my self but been reading about alot of problems that people have with it and disided to keep my XP Pro installed because it wont be worth all the hassle :( i say format ur computer put xp back on and you will be fine :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online