1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Input Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by randomnoobie, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randomnoobie

randomnoobie Thread Starter

yeah, im sure this question has been asked countlessly; unfortunately, it needs to be asked again.

so, my pc's monitor displays this error when i try turning it on. i can hear it working when i push the button.

so far, i've reseated the ram, cleaned out the case, checked all the cables several times, etc.

my monitor and cord are fine, tested those on another pc.

the only things i can't check are the cpu and graphics card; i dont have a spare gfx card on-hand and my other computers are both laptops.

i was wondering (and hoping) the problem might be a graphics card. that's an easy fix. if it's my mobo, well... that sucks.

any advice?

2. sqidgy

sqidgy

are U trying to mirror the display off the laptop or is this a stand alone PC that has no image?

3. randomnoobie

doing the monitor display on a standard, desktop PC, tower and all.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    How are you determining that the computer is running? Is it from the noise of a few fans running, the CD Drawer opening and closing? Or do you actually hear the windows boot up music? Sometimes a power supply can go bad and still bea able to run the fans and the CD Drawer but not the system. "No Input Signal" or "No Signal" usually means either the Video card is not sending it a signal (Bad Video Card or Video Cable) or the System is not running.

5. randomnoobie

when i turn on the pc, i can hear all the fans running, i can open the cd-rom drive fine. there's actually no windows start-up music. i'm not sure why, either, since i've never actually heard it when i used my PC before this problem started up.

what might be the most likely cause? there are times when i can get the monitor to turn on, but it usually requires several restarts with pushing the power on and off. but lately, it hasn't been able to turn on, at all, no matter what i do.

could it be the PSu or graphics card then?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It sure sounds like the power supply. Fans, lights and cd drawers opening and closing are no indication that the computer is actually starting. You would see the Hard drive Activity light flashing for quite some time while it loads the OS. And if you have speakers connected you should hear the Windows Start up sound when it reaches the Desktop.

7. randomnoobie

i do see the hard drive light flashing for quite sometime. the only thing i don't hear is the window's startup noise, though i never really payed attention to that when it worked fine before.

so, most likely culprit is the PSU, then?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would be easier to say if you could provide some system specs Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

9. randomnoobie

alright, here you go:

HP Pavillion a1610n:

Processor: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4200+ 2.2 GHz

Graphics Card/Chipset: GeForce 6150 LE (integrated)

Motherboard: Manufacturer: Asus
    Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: NodusM3-GL8E

Memory: Memory Installed 1 GB
    Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)
    Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
    Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

HD: 250 GB SATA, 7200 rpm

PSU: LITEON
    Model: PS-5301-08HA ROHS
    DC Output: 300W
    Combined Power On: +5V And 3.3V Rails Shall Not Exceed 175W Max
    Combined Power On: +12V And +5V Rails Shall Not Exceed 268W Max
    Continuous Total DC Output Shall Not Exceed 300W

Input: 100-127V - 8.0A 50/60HZ
    200-240V - 3.0A 50/60HZ
    Output: +5V === /25A MAX +12V === /19A MAX +5Vsb === /2A MAX
    +3.3V === / 18A MAX -12V === /0.8A MAX

---

alright, the only hardware i've added/replaced is the RAM, which I added 2GB of 1GB PNY sticks, which met the exact specifications on the other ram. 240 Pin, DDR2, etc.

there's no additional peripherals installed.

i do know both the PSu and graphics card are bad and need to be replaced, but im tryin' to figure out which is the most likely culprit in my dilemma.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the integrated Graphics is bad then it is a full motherboard replacement.

I have never heard of a Liteon Power Supply. Most of the PSU's I have seen in recent model HPs have been Bestec power supplies. Did you read the power supply information right off the power supply itself?

11. randomnoobie

i did.

it's possible it might be bestec and the series is labeled Liteon.

My HP PC was bought almost four years ago, so, it's a possibility they've used different PSU's from then. the HP website says August '06 was when the brand was manufactured.

i did a google search for the PSU brand and it came up with positive results, so.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am not doubting that Liteon makes a Power Supply. I have never seen one or heard of one. Usually Liteon is associated with Optical Drives.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    And when I go to the Lite-on site, I can't read Kanji, so I can't check it out anyway:)

14. randomnoobie

oh wow, a japanese power supply, that's a new one.

15. randomnoobie

any suggestions? or should i just say 'screw it' and build a new PC?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice