1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No internet access after PC hard lock / freeze forced a manu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moonblaze, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonblaze

moonblaze Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having a somewhat weird issue with my internet access. After a forced reset due to a hard lock, I was no longer able to connect to my network or have internet access.

This is the second time I have had this issue (within a few months) where I am losing internet access due to a hard lock reset.

This occurs on a wired configuration, from the integrated on-board LAN (nvidia nForce6) directly into the ISP router.

The first time this issue occurred I had tried all the routine fixes to no avail. The Ethernet link from the router is functional as a directly connected laptop has normal network access. Eventually I resorted to installing a brand new wireless Ethernet card. Upon successful a successful installation and finding the broadcasted SSID (and several neighbors, as expected), there was still no internet access after connecting to the wireless network.

After giving up and resetting the PC on a wired configuration, the network appeared and internet access restored. At this point, switching to the wireless adapter yielded a successful internet connectivity. The wireless adapter was then removed and the configuration returned to a wired
    link.

I am having the same issue again, and I was wondering id anybody may have an idea of what is happening, as I still have no idea how to fix this.

Below are the notes, observations and attempts to resolve the issue.

The operating system is Windows 7 Professonal 64-bit. The motherboard make is EVGA and uses nForce6 chip. It has 2 integrated LAN ethernet ports.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

================================================

The PC entered a hard lock mode during media streaming and gaming, forcing me the use the reset button.

During the initial POST, error concerning Floppy Drive Fail (40) appeared. With each boot, the same error was given consistently.

Since the PC didn't have and never had a floppy drive, I Went into the BIOS to disable the A:/ drive. Error no longer appeared.

This leads me to believe that the BIOS reset itself to default values or safe-mode values after the PC was reset.

As far as I can tell, no other BIOS parameters were changed. The CPU runs at the correct clock speed.

The BIOS displays the correct current time, indicating that the CMOS battery is still functional.

So far tried:

- New install of Windows 7 OS
    - Reset router
    - Different LAN port on both the PC (2 ethernet slots) and the router (4 ethernet slots)
    - Different laptop connects successfully when using the same ethernet link as the main PC
    - Safe mode with nerworking
    - flush DNS
    - netsh winsock reset catalog, nethsh int ipv4 reset reset.log, netsh ipv6 reset reset.log
    - ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
    - Disable then enable network interface cards
    - Uninstall network drivers, reinstall network drivers
    - Tried changing the MAC address of the nVidia nForce6 ethernet adapter in case of router MAC filtering
    - Installing a wireless PCI adapter on the machine

Observations:

Recieves an APIPA address

Successfully pings 127.0.0.1.

Cannot ping to internet (google.com for example).

Cannot connect to router using its address 192.168.2.1

When pinging 192.168.2.1 recieving error: PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Displays Unidentified Network (Public Network) as the network. Access type displays: No Internet access.

Had VMWare installed with 4 virtual adapters. Those were manually disabled when the problems started occurring.

Attempted to install a wireless PCI adapter to the PC. The installation appeared to be successful and would display the SSIDs of neighboring routers as expected. However, after entering the correct WPA2 credentials, the network is displayed as Unidentified Network (Public Network) as the network. Access type displays: No Internet access.

==================================================

ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Moonblaze-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-09-C2-51
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::408e:a661:2eec:1d63%21(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.29.99(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 452985931
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-30-B8-AD-00-04-4B-09-C2-50
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-09-C2-50
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{01700E36-48E6-4727-95CB-81358BDF2317}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

2. moonblaze

moonblaze Thread Starter

SOLUTION:

Overall, the issue appears to have been caused by a hard-lock / freeze, which in turn caused the BIOS to reset to its factory settings, at which point the internet became inaccessible. After going through all the routine troubleshooting processes, the issue was still unresolved, even after a reformat of the operating system.

The only solution for this appears to be to install another network adapter (a PC wireless card was used in this case). It is possible that the wired internet access is immediately restored upon booting, without even having to install the wireless card drivers. After successfully connecting to the internet, the PC may be shut down and the wireless adapter removed. Upon the next reboot, the wired internet taskbar icon will show the attempt to connect to a network, which is eventually successful and access to the internet is permanently restored.

This is a very weird issue which I think only a hardware engineer could explain, or perhaps it is a flaw within this particular configuration. However, after doing my research, it appears that this issue may be caused by having virtual network adapters (from VMWare for example) installed when the initial hard-lock / freeze occurred, forcing a manual reset.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice