1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Internet access for Users in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gram123, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hello.
    Right, well, you're probably going to need more info, but this is all I have at present:

A colleague has asked about a problem he has with Windows XP. He has set himself and his wife up as Administrators and the kids as Users. The Admin accounts are able to access the internet, but the Users are not and he doesn't know how to allow them to.

He's using WinXP (Home, I believe), and I'm pretty sure he has a cable modem.

Having never done this myself, is there a simple way to change the account settings to give the kids access to the internet?

Thanks!

Gram

2. obi wan

obi wan

You must be logged on to your computer with an owner account in order to complete this procedure.

1. Open Network Connections: Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

2. Click the dial-up, local area network, PPPoE, or VPN connection you want to share, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

3. On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

4. If you want this connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home or small office network attempts to access external resources, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box.

5. If you want other network users to enable or disable the shared Internet connection, select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.

Owen.

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Is the procedure the same if the internet connection is cable rather than dial-up?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I think that previous post was for setting up Internet Connection Sharing. Since it's just the single computer connected to the cable modem, and he can already access the Internet with it, I'm not sure what this would do for the other users.

First, is it that they can't connect to the Internet or can't browse the web.

1. Log on as another user.

2. Ping an external IP address ( start / run / "ping 199.181.164.1" - no quotes.

3. If you don't get a reply, see how the network settings are different here that for an admin account.

4. If you get a reply then you have access to the Internet.

5. If you get a reply then ping a web site by name

6. See how IE is configured differently, particularly the Connection tab.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!