Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NO Internet Access: No Gateway 0.0.0.0 IP Address. Please Help

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jim Pivonka 
#1 ·
As stated, I had a virus and used malware to get rid of it, which then caused my internet access to dissapear. My IP address displays 0.0.0.0 as does my Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway is just blank and doesn't display anything I have re-installed a clean version of XP Pro, but it hasn't fixed it. Any help would be appreciated, Many Thanks!

#2 ·
I think your DHCP client is not loading.

I'd suggest opening Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System, + Application + Security.

System activity, especially, may help to identify what is happening after system start and at system shut down. Post what you find there (without including too much - it will be useful to mark the times of system behaviors as you observe them so you know what times to look for system events). Someone here should be able to help you interpret the results you see in the logs.

I suspect you will see that the DHCP client is not loading properly. The reason that might be given for that might be "false" - in the sense that it might involve a dependency of DHCP upon other Services. I have seen cases in which such a dependancy was established by malware to ensure that the other services were available for use by the malware.

On the other hand, if this is a brand new XP installation on a clean reformated drive, and it has never connected to the internet, it's hard to see how you could have malware - unless you got it from a USB drive which auto executed when attached to the machine.

Another check for DHCP client function is to open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and review what services are running.

Please tell us what OS and Service Pack you are running. Also, since we are talking about internet connections, who is your ISP, and what kind of internet connection service do you have? What is the make and model of your modem if you have one? Do you use a router, and if so what make and model is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.