1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No Internet Access on Network Icon

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wjburl, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

The network icon on my Windows 10 task bar has a yellow triangle and the message when I hover says "No Internet Access" with an ethernet connection. I can access the internet, however. Sometimes I can get it to not display the yellow triangle by rebooting several times, but that doesn't always work. It only is a problem when an app checks the status before it continues, even if the system can access the internet. I have tried the DNS in the properties for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). I don't have the same problem with WiFi, but I prefer a wired connection.

2. Adampadum123

Adampadum123

try running troubleshoot on internet connections it should display a message with an error code or fix it

3. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

I had done that earlier and it said it couldn't provide a fix. Sometimes the "No Internet Access" warning goes away after a couple of hours. Yjat's the situation on this boot. One website suggested turning off fast boot to give the SW a chance to detect what is needed. I did that several days ago. It's still a tossup whether the warning is displayed or not. I've done the things suggested on the websites I've read, like Cange Network Profile to Private, Network Reset, etc.

4. markj96

markj96

I had similar issue with my laptop and it got fixed once i updated the LAN driver.
    so i will suggest you to check for the driver update first.
    if it is still not working. please reply back, i have some troubleshooting ways to fix it .

5. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

Device Manager indicates the best driver is installed.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Just because you get a message the best driver is installed does not mean the most current driver is installed.

Expand the Network Adapters heading.
    What's the exact name of the ethernet device listed there?

Double-click that ethernet device entry to open its properties window, then click the "Driver" tab.
    What's the exact driver version and driver date listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

Realtek
    1/19/2018
    Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

8. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

I downloaded and installed the latest driver from the RealTek site and still have the same problem.

Realtek
    6/15/2018
    Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    10.28.615.2018 is the most current Realtek gigabit ethernet driver for Windows 10.

Have you tried switching to a different ethernet port in your modem/router?

Is your computer a laptop/notebook or a desktop/tower?

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

I have used a different router port. It is a desktop. BTW, the warning icon just disappeared.

11. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

I had entered "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" in the cmd window. I was in the process of closing windows to reboot when I noticed the warning icon was gone. I'll have to wait to see if that was coincidental or not.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The good thing about having a desktop is you can install a gigabit ethernet card if the integrated ethernet device in its motherboard stops working.
    I've had that happen to 3 desktops over the years - which is why I keep a couple of ethernet cards in my computer parts box.

13. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

It does work with a USB 3.0 dongle. This desktop is a new build with an MSI x370 Gaming Plus mobo. If I plug it into the dongle the warning icon disappears. When I move it back to the I/O panel it returns. Sometimes it disappears after it's been running for a while. The dongle is also a Realtek controller, but has a driver from 2015.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've only used an internal PCI or PCI-E ethernet card.
    I've never used an external USB2 or USB3 ethernet adapter, so I'm not familiar with how well they work or what issues they may have.

15. wjburl

wjburl Thread Starter

I did a disable/enable in the Device Manager Properties. The warning icon was there for a few seconds and later disappeared.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice