1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No Internet Access Via Cell Phone Mobile Hotspot or Tether

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brvsfn01, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Hi Guys,

I have once again run into a problem that seems to plague me and I am at the point where if I can't solve it this time I am going to take a baseball bat and smash my laptop and cell phone into tiny pieces, scatter them around the neighborhood and go out and buy new stuff that actually works and start all over again. Here's the drill:

Laptop: Dell E6501 Latitude
    Built in WiFi antennae
    running Win 7 Pro with all updates installed

Cell Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
    Has WiFi Mobile HotSpot capability as well as Tethering capability.

I did a search of the archives on this site and per the suggestions just updated the drivers for the WiFi card.

I can activate the Mobile HotSpot function on my cell phone. My laptop sees the SSID for my cell phone but refuses to connect. I get an exclamation point in the system tray over the signal strength that says "no internet access".

This problem has been plaguing me for 5 years. Sometimes I can access the internet from my cell phone via mobile hotspot or tethering and more often than not I can't and I am way beyond fed up. This should not be this hard. If the manufacturers can't make a feature work reliably then they don't need to be putting into a device period!!!!!

I am not in the mood to be doing screen shots of ip config or any other unnecessary nonsense to try and fix this. I want the easiest solution possible. Any suggestions will be appreciated and I will try anything. If this doesn't work out comes the baseball bat and I get new stuff that hopefully works the way it is supposed to.

Thanks all.

<edited for language >

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm afraid you will get very little support from members here.
    the "nonsense" is part of the diagnoses

take the equipment into a computer repair shop and pay them to resolve the issue for you - that way you can avoid any of the "nonsense"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    After a lot of needless going back and forth with my cell phone provider I got one of them to admit that the app they use to provide their Mobile HotSpot and Tethering is a bit "wonky". What "wonky" means but it sounds like a highly technical term that is beyond me but for my cell phone provider to tell me this I take as not a good sign.

I downloaded from the Play Store and installed into my phone a 3rd party Mobile HotSpot and Tethering App and so far it seems to be working as expected. I know I shouldn't get upset over stuff like this but when I pay money for something I expect it to work as it should. Unrealistic I know but I am who I am. :-(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice