1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No internet Access!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davsulli, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davsulli

davsulli Thread Starter

I use Windows XP and a NetGear router

I have been unable to connect to the internet for several days yet every other computer in the house is able to connect. If I try to connect to the router wirelessly it says, "limited or no connectivity" and that it can not find an IP address. If I try to connect directly to the router using an Ethernet cord it says "Acquiring Network Address but never connects. I've tried all the Winsock fixes, cmd ipconfig fixes, have run every anti malware software I can find, but to no avail. I need to access the internet with my computer for school, and soon! Please Help.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Hey there...

1.) Do you have a laptop or a desktop?

2.) Have you tried uninstalling the network adapter in Device Manager; restarting your computer and seeing if that solves the issue?

3.) Are your TCP/IP settings correctly set? (addresses found via auto-detect)

4.) I take it you tried ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew commands?

5.) Have you tried seeing if your Internet connects in Safe Mode with Networking?

--------------

If all else fails, you could have OS corruption that is close to impossible to fix. You could do a
    "repair install" to fix the issue as long as you have an XP installation disk.

3. davsulli

davsulli Thread Starter

hi,

1) It is a Dell desktop

2)By uninstalling the network adaptor do you mean he Netgear router? Because I've done that.

3) Yes, they are.

4) yeah tried that a couple times but didn't work.

5) I have not tried that one yet actually. I hooked up an older desktop in the meantime so I can follow this thread. I will hook the other one back up and try that.

4. davsulli

davsulli Thread Starter

I do not have my XP disc. A friend gave me a copy of his but my product key wouldn't work. Even though it seemed like it's the same version, it kept denying my key. I ten tried to install from that folder under My computer. The key worked but the install kept stopping saying there were issues with the reinstallation.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

First when did this occur? I'd try a system restore- choose a restore point date when you were able to connect.

Second I need to see your connections.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

Also

Try these repairs:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice