No internet after re-installing Windows XP and installing drivers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nike1

EDIT: I just realized i posted this in the wrong category.. sorry :/

Hey. :)

I hope you guys can give me a hand now cause i'm all out of ideas!

I re-formated my sisters computer yesterday, and after installing it i had no internet. As i hadn't installed any drivers yet, i understood that. But after heading over to dell's site, downloading all of the drivers for her computer and then installing them, i STILL do not have any internet.

I don't see any connections on the computer either, it's just blank!

Here's a screenshot.

Her computer model:
Dell OptiPlex 170L.

And the drivers for her computer can be found right here.

I installed all Chipset, Video, Audio and Network drivers. Have i missed out on anything important?

Any ideas what's wrong here? :(

Thanks in advance,
-Nike

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the service tag number of that Dell OptiPlex 170L? It should be a set of 7 letters and numbers.

Is this the network adapter driver that you downloaded and tried to install?

Double-click the Ethernet Controller entry, then go to Details(tab). See if you can find the device and vendor numbers in one of the entries. It'll look similiar to DEV_ and VEN_ and will have 4 characters next to each one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I downloaded that R67150.EXE file and extracted its contents and read the install instructions. Here is what it says:

To reinstall the NIC driver for Windows XP, perform the following steps:

1. Double-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop.

2. From the C: drive, go into the Dell/Drivers/R67150/WinXP Directory.

3. Double-click on Setup.exe.

4. Follow the on-screen installation instructions to install the network driver

It's a very outdated driver version for the Intel PRO/100 network adapter, so don't install it.

Here is the most current driver version for it at the Intel site.

--------------------------------------------------------------

After looking at your screen shot you'll notice the ethernet controller has a yellow question mark that means its not installed.Once you install the correct driver you should have no further problems.The bottom network driver on your list should work

nike1

Hi guys. :)

I'm happy to inform you that i fixed it. :D

Sadly, i never figured out what the real problem was. I highly doubt it had to do with drivers though.

There must have been something wrong with the Windows XP disk. Cause i re-formated it with my old disk, and then it worked just fine! (after installing the drivers ofc) I could see the Local Area Network connection right after installing XP, without the drivers.

Thanks for the help though.
-Nike

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online