1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Internet Connection/"Plug in an Ethernet cable" message after random restart.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qxyz5678, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qxyz5678

qxyz5678 Thread Starter

Hi there, my mother went to work a few days ago and came home to find that her computer had restarted itself and is now displaying a "Plug an Ethernet cable into this computer"/"A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken" error message in Windows Network Diagnostics. She's running Windows 7 on a Gateway ZX4971 and we use a NETGEAR n450 for WiFi.

My Macbook and both of our phones can still connect to our WiFi perfectly fine, it's just her desktop having the issue.

I ran Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /all and this is what came up:

[​IMG]

I've restarted our NETGEAR n450, unplugged it completely from power and plugged it back in, and restarted her computer but nothing has worked. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and removed some bad files but that didn't solve anything either.

Advice?

*Edit:
    I've done this and everything checks out fine:
    Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.

Also, I've run DriverUpdate from Slimware Utilities, Inc. but the scan reports that "Your system has the latest stable drivers and updates installed."

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Easiest solution - try a different ethernet cable. Yes they do go bad.

Next attempt, move the cable from the slot it is in, in the router, to a different slot. Yes, those slots also can go bad.

Harder, it is possible the NIC (ethernet card has died). In that case, you'd see what empty slots the computer has, buy a card, install it and plug into that.

I just had a poster on another forum who bought a new card for $15 and his computer which wasn't connecting, is now working fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice