no internet connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

timothye

Hello ..-
Please take the time to read this 1 .

from the start .
I was surfing the net and using Msn mesenger . i sent a message to a friend , and after i sent the last message i saw that i wasnt signed in .so i tried to surf to a page and it came up and i dont have a connection to the net ..

i check everything ( cables ect.. ) and all is ok -
i have a d-link router . so i unplugged the router and plugged the main internet line directly into my other computer ( right next to my main computer ) and it took a second and sure enough the internet is working . I contacted the ISP and they say there is nothing wrong with my line . but i dont have a connection to my main computer :(

anyway ...
i plug in everything back to normal theu the router and i dont have a connection to my main computer or my secondary computer .. so i unplug in only the secondary computer thru the router and now i have the internet again ..so i am here asking for some help ..
i have run all the programs ..

AVG
spyblaster
spybot search &destroy
tune up utilities
ad ware
registry mechanic
and a few others online and the secondary machine comes up clean and so does the main machine .
i have run HJT and all looks just fine .as normal -
i am very meticulate on keeping all my machines clean and up to date . everyday these machines go thru some vigoruos cleaning . they are used for many hours a day .

any ideas on this
cheers MGT :
:D

Cable or DSL? Ether way try this...

Connect both computers to the router and the router to the modem.

Log onto the router and on the home tab in the WAN section(this is form the computer that can get access directly to the modem) click the clone mac address button. Click apply and then continue. Power off both modem and router (unplug them) Power on modem first let it stablize and then power on the router, test the connection. If it fails log back onto the router click the status tab and post the IP address that appears in the WAN section here.

Memnoch322 said:
Cable or DSL? Ether way try this...

Connect both computers to the router and the router to the modem.

Log onto the router and on the home tab in the WAN section(this is form the computer that can get access directly to the modem) click the clone mac address button. Click apply and then continue. Power off both modem and router (unplug them) Power on modem first let it stablize and then power on the router, test the connection. If it fails log back onto the router click the status tab and post the IP address that appears in the WAN section here.
Like Memnoch said that could be your problem, but if that was the case you wouldn't be able to surf before it happened.
You can call your ISP back and have them provision your routers mac, or tell them to give you more them one dhcp IP.

Also, have you tried shutting down all firewalls on your pc's (just to test)
I would also try to do some pings from pc's out to internet.
Start-run-type cmd-type ping google.com
If you can ping google, but cannot surf then try pinging google by its IP.
ping 64.233.187.99
If you can ping google by name and IP then you have browser issues or firewall issues on your PC. If you cannot ping google by name but CAN by IP then you have DNS issues. Your router is not giving you correct DNS servers.

I don't know if this would help any or not, but no one else suggested it. Unplug the modem from power for 6 minutes, clearing the MAC address. Then try hooking it up to the router. And then hook up both computers to the router.

Also, try resetting the D-Link router.

timothye

xSoilworkeRx said:
I don't know if this would help any or not, but no one else suggested it. Unplug the modem from power for 6 minutes, clearing the MAC address. Then try hooking it up to the router. And then hook up both computers to the router.

Also, try resetting the D-Link router.

I did just exactly the above .. it unplugged everything and waited for a while . ( did some house chores ) then plugged it all back in , and then everything worked just fine .
Thanks for the help people , ITS very much appreciated ,
The Tech Guy forums are the best
cheers
Timothye :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online