1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jpossum, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpossum

jpossum Thread Starter

Friend trying to get onto broadband yesterday. Modem is connected and working (according to ISP) but web pages wont load.
    Spent all day today with ISP trying to get some connection, finally they said the pc must have a trojan. Friends daughter has been to some really awful websites while on dialup, so I could easily believe it.
    Today I reformatted computer. Fresh install.
    Still having problems connecting. ISP says modem is working fine, speeds are good, but still not able to connect. Is the hard drive damaged in some way. Her pc is only 2 months old

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

How does the modem attach to the PC? USB or ethernet? if ethernet have you ensured when you did the reformat you loaded the ethernet drivers? Also who is the ISP?

3. jpossum

jpossum Thread Starter

she's using usb cable, dlink modem/router 504T, the isp is aapt.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Does the PC recognize other USB devices? What does your ipconfig /all on the PC show?

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can you try the following ipconfig and ping tests

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

NEXT lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
    try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
    run
    cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
    C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about the make/model of the modem, and the ISP you're using?

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Johnwill see post 3 :)

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

So you can ping by name and by ip address and still unable to use any web browser? I'm wondering if the router/modem is blocking port 80

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To confirm - "Today I reformatted computer. Fresh install"
    So no chance they were on the Internet and got any spyware?
    And you can only ping web sites but not access them with a browser?

Can you do anything else other than browsing that uses the Internet, such as e-mail, downloading anti-virus updates etc.

Is the browser correctly configured. For example, typically it doesn't use a proxy server.

10. jpossum

jpossum Thread Starter

yes, Bob. When they were on dial-up, it is quite possible they did get some sort of virus. We have ipconfiged and pinged (port 80 is not blocked) and everything shows ok. We can even download a file that the isp gave us to download, and the speed is normal. It seems the browsers (both ie and firefox) are corrupted (so say the isp). That is why I reinstalled...thinking that a fresh install would get rid of any virus that may have been there. wrong thinking i assume. Any suggestions? I'm going back to her house shortly.

11. jpossum

jpossum Thread Starter

oh yes, no email, no downloading (thus no antivirus) everything is normal and browsers correct (according to isp) port 80 is not blocked . windows messenger says she is not online and web pages stop loading after a few minutes most of the time. Have only managed to leave the home page a few times.
    Could I download an antivirus, put the setup on a cd and run it on her pc? never tried to do that yet?

12. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can you do the ipconfig and ping tests

when you reinstalled - did you do a complete format and re-instal

you can but often the virus database is out of date.
    I know with AVG you used to be able to download the latest virus definitions too, so you could run an uptodate scan off line - I done exactly that last year for a friend.
    you may also download and run F-Prot which will work off a floppy http://members.aol.com/don5408/fprot.html i have found this to be a great tool
    along with UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How would you have gotten a virus immediately after formatting and doing a clean install if you can't download anything from the Internet. Did you load some other software?

To confirm it is not a problem with the router:

1. Turn everything off
    2. Disconnect the router from the modem
    3. Connect the computer directly to the modem
    4. Turn on the modem and wait a minute or so
    5. Boot the computer

Then see if you can connect to the Internet.

14. jpossum

jpossum Thread Starter

Been back on phone with ISP again. Techie told me that just deleting partition that xp was on and reinstalling it, would not necessarily delete any trojans that may be still on the h.d. Is this correct? should I have completely wiped the disc with some kind of hard drive deleting program first before reinstalling xp?
    Sorry about not posting ipconfig and ping results. I left them behind at her house.

15. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

it depends on how reinstalled i guess
    did you do a format
    when windows installs it gives you an option to format NTFS the partition - did you reformat

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484189