1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Internet/no mapped drives....help plz

Discussion in 'Networking' started by allso, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allso

allso Thread Starter

I'll try to give as much history as I can on this:

Client complained of sluggish computer, no drivespace and MAINLY could no longer map her regular network drives on a small business LAN. She was mapping fine but computer was soooo slow she did some digging, found 'tcp.exe' eating up resources so she deleted it (she can't seem to tell me how she accomplished that). She says that after deleting/removing this file she lost connectivity to her network.

I come in and clean up a bunch of virii/trojans/malware on the machine. You folks helped me here and I removed the last bad software, restarted the machine (several times) and still no network connectivity.

With ipconfig/all I see that her machine is pointing to dummy(?) addresses:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: (empty)
    Description: Intel<R> PRO/100 Network Connection
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.163.136
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway: (empty)
    DNS Servers: (empty)

So I tried hard coding in the info instead of letting the machine obtain IP address/DNS server from the router. After hardcoding the IP, subnet, default gateway and the prim/secondary dns servers the machine could reconnect her mapped network drives BUT she still didn't have internet access.

I can ping the loopback successfully, by name and by number. Without hardcoding I can't ping the router or any other machine on the network...with everything hardcoded I can ping by address to router and other machines (haven't attempted by name).

I have setup my laptop (XP SP2) to have the same name as her machine and connected using her network line. I immediately connect to the internet AND can see all of the LAN and map drives. So I keep coming back to feeling it's something out of whack software-wise on her machine.

Can someone help me with this? Plz be gentle .... networking is definitely not my friend :confused:

TIA
    Sherrie

2. allso

allso Thread Starter

(Doing my best Gilda Radner impression)....."Neva mind" :)

I ended up reinstalling win2k and finally got her machine back up and running on all cylinders.

allso

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/302355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice