No Internet on Linux??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Skin1301

Hi everyone.
Firstly Merry Xmas!
Secondly.. PLEASE HELP!!
I have just installed SuSE Linux 10.0 today, all has installed fine but I cant seem to get the internet to work.
I have NTL Broadband through a modem and ethernet connection, obviously works fine with XP still, but I cant get it to work with Linux.
I am a complete novice with Linux but the only thing I can think of is that the 'Realtek RTL8139 Fast ethernet' driver has not been installed properly as that was mentioned during installation.
I have found a couple of sites referring to this driver on linux, but how am I supposed to install a driver on linux???
I am really stuck here guys, any help at all is GREATLY APRIACIATED!!
Thanks in Advance.

Try installing the driver. The procedure for this is different for every driver. Just look for the readme in the driver directory. That's all I can tell you. Good luck, installing linux drivers (or just about anything else in Linux) is a big pain in the ***...

jiml8

From a shell window, as root, type in the command ifconfig and post the results here.

Then, from a shell window, as root, type in the command lspci and post the results here.

These two will tell explicitly what the state of your network is and what hardware the system sees connected to it.

jiml8

c_geek said:
Try installing the driver. The procedure for this is different for every driver. Just look for the readme in the driver directory. That's all I can tell you. Good luck, installing linux drivers (or just about anything else in Linux) is a big pain in the ***...
Installing drivers, debugging drivers, and just generally debugging installations is far easier in Linux than in Windows.

Realtek 8139 doesn't need a driver from a Linux distro, not one as recent as Suse unless it got a 2.4 kernel or older.

I would use Yast to configure it to use DHCP.

click K Menu/system/Yast (Control Centre)/ supply p/d/ Network device/Network card and following the instruction.

If you have to do it in a Bash shell then type these

ifconfig eth0
dhcpcd eth0

to see if it kicks start it

jiml8

saikee said:
Realtek 8139 doesn't need a driver from a Linux distro, not one as recent as Suse unless it got a 2.4 kernel or older.
Driver has to come from someplace; where, if not from the distro?

jiml8,

I mean no need to outsource as a distro bound to have the essential generic drivers packaged.

I never met a request for installing a driver for Realtek 8139. That includes a new Suse 9.1 I did today.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online