1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Internet, Secured

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PleasantCow, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PleasantCow

PleasantCow Thread Starter

Hello!

OK...I have an HP 2000 Notebook PC. Yesterday everything was working just fine. I was connected to the internet without any issues.

I had to take my laptop to a friends house to do some work. When I got there I was unable to connect to his wifi (which I had connected to previously). The wifi icon has the yellow exclamation point on it and says "No Internet Secured"...so I was unable to do any work and figured I would connect to my wifi at home to do it.

When I got back to my place I found that I was having the same issue with my wifi..."No Internet, Secured"...my iPhone, tablet, Roku, and thermostat are all using my wifi without any issue (which I am posting this from my phone).

I've searched all over for a solution. Needless to say I have tried every "fix" available and none of them have worked. I've tried all the "netsh" commands...disabled firewall and anti-virus...nothing!...remains at "No Internet, Secure".

I tried to forget the network and login again...nothing.

So this is a question that I haven't been able to find a good answer to...the battery on my laptop is bad...ran the "F2" battery check and it said it had 42% of its original capacity and needed to be replaced...while plugged in the battery won't go higher than 87% charged...but once it hits 87% it says "plugged in, not charging"...if I unplug the power cord and plug it back in it will say charging for about two seconds and then says not charging...of course I've had the laptop for several years and it's always plugged in when I'm using it...yesterday was the first time in quite a while that I took my laptop with me...so here's my question...Can the battery capacity affect wifi connectivity?

I removed the battery completely and did everything I had previously done (netsh commands to reset TCP/IP) and nothing.

I can't understand how everything was fine...then after I shut it down, unplugged it and took it to my friends house it can no longer "obtain an IP address". There have been no changes made recently.

I am running the anniversary edition of Windows 10 and have had no connectivity problems until taking it with me...which BTW...when I was at my friends the battery was at 57%.

So...1) could a new battery be a solution?
    2) if yes, why won't it connect with the battery off and plugged in?
    3) how far can I throw this thing!!!!

I'm really hoping someone smarter or more experienced will have a solution!

If you don't believe the battery has anything to do with it...then please let me know what you suggest...but please know...I've rebooted a hundred times my PC and router...all the netsh prompts that work for other users have not worked for me.

Oh...I've also uninstalled the adapter and reinstalled...nothing!

OK...hope someone can help...let me know what additional info you may need because I'm sure I sound like a ranting lunatic!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the product number in your first image, you have a HP 2000-2c10DX Notebook PC which originally came with Windows 8 64-bit.

You didn't say if that notebook is still running Windows 8 64-bit or if it's been upgraded to Windows 8.1 64-bit or to Windows 10 64-bit.

According to your second image, that notebook has a MediaTek Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter.

That notebook's support site has a Windows 8 64-bit driver(October 2012) and a Windows 8.1 64-bit driver(December 2013) for it, but it has no driver for Windows 10 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager and expand the "Network Adapters" heading and then double-click the wireless device so its properties window will appear.

Select the "Driver" tab and then submit an image of that window.

Select the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids" and then submit an image of that window.

Is that notebook's ethernet device working okay, and are you able to obtain a working internet connection with it?

3. PleasantCow

I tried connecting to Ethernet earlier today without any success...here (hopefully) are the images you requested.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The battery is not contributing to the wireless problem.

We don't know exactly what the wireless nor ethernet situations are, but since neither is giving you internet access quite possibly this is a firewall issue. What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the same for the ethernet device.

In the meanwhile, I'll be doing some research on the wireless device.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. PleasantCow

I have Bitdefender Antivirus & windows firewall. I have disabled them and tried connecting and it says "No internet, secured"...and I did the netsh commands with both antivirus and firewall turned on and turned off.

7. PleasantCow

Here's the Ethernet images...and thank you.

Attached Files:

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The MediaTek support site lists the Ralink RT5390R as a legacy wireless device and only has Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers (5.0.55.0) for it.
    The Microsoft Update Catalog site has a Windows 10 driver (5.0.57.0) for it.
    Windows 10 has already installed the most current driver for it.

I'm off to research the ethernet device, but I tend to lean towards what Terry suspects.
    I don't believe it's going to be a hardware or a driver issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Bitdefender and run the Uninstall Tool.

Enable the Windows firewall. Restart the system and see if you can connect via wireless or ethernet.

10. PleasantCow

OK...I just wanted to reiterate that it was working 100% fine connecting to my wifi before I shut it down and took it with me...it was safely in my bag...then it just stopped letting me on the internet.

I'm just so confused as to why it stopped when nothing had been added or changed.

And again...thank you both for your assistance! I'm on the verge of tossing it in the East River!!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, something changed; you and we just don't know what. Windows 10 likes to change things without any notice. Anti-malware programs get corrupted. Windows and anti-malware program updates sometimes cause problems. Etc.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless Terry advises otherwise because he wants you to do something else first, do the following:

Go HERE and click the top-most "Global" link to download and save the Windows 10 driver.
    It's in .ZIP format, so it needs to be downloaded and saved inside an empty folder.
    After that's done, extract its contents into that same folder.
    Open the new folder that appears so you can expose its contents.
    Double-click the 'setup.exe" file to start the install process.
    If all goes well, the ethernet driver will update from version 9.1.404.2015 to version 10.12.1007.2016.

----------------------------------------------------------------

13. PleasantCow

Bitdefender uninstalled and windows firewall turned on now. Restarted and still the same right now.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While attempting to connect both ways ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

15. PleasantCow

Unfortunately I don't have anyway to download the .zip and get it onto my computer. I'm on my phone for this thread.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice