1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Internet to other users in Win2K

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sandeepjaipur, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandeepjaipur

sandeepjaipur Thread Starter

Hi there!
    I am using windows 2000 and I want to restrict to use Internet to other users and also needed user restricted to create new dialup connection.
    Please help me!

2. elsinaj

elsinaj

What exactly do you want to restrict?

Do you have a w2k network with 1 internet connection you wish to share?

There are 2 possibilities: Internet Connection Sharing on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. With this you can share the internet connection with other users. The only big BUT is, that you must not have a DHCP server on your network because ICS is its own DHCP server. This goes also for DNS.

When you DO have a network with DHCP and DNS, you can use ISA server from Microsoft or another proxy product.

With this product you can share your connection, finetune what users can and cannot see on the internet and make servers from within your network visible to the outer world (server publishing).

Hope this helps.

A.J.

3. sandeepjaipur

sandeepjaipur Thread Starter

Hi A.J.,

I am using windows 2000 pro. as a stand alone machine and do connected internet via internal modem.

In my family we creat 4-5 user and set user as desired power of use. Me as a admin. only want to connect internet but my user is very smart they know how to creat new internet connection and all setting. Now i want only me to connect internet via modem. because in india one hour internet uses is around .75$.

Again i explan that only admin. is allowed to connect internet via modem.

thanx

Sandeep

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi sandeepjaipur,
    It sounds like you have the same problem as most of us. The kids are smarter than we are! Im not sure but try calling your internet provider and set it up so you can only get one account on your service or that no one can setup an account without your permission!

5. itharrin

itharrin

If you are running Win2K, AND have NTFS set up, can you not use the NTFS permissions to stop the other users accessing the Internet Explorer directory (and therefore iexplorer.exe) by giving it only admin rights ?

6. elsinaj

elsinaj

You can create system policies with poledit (yes, it still works on w2k).

Search the helpfile for policies and choose local policies.
    You can create a policy for various users in PolEdit.

How to activate the policy on your computer:

Open System Policy Editor.
    At the individual computer, on the File menu, click Open Registry, and then double-click Local Computer.
    Next to Network, click the plus sign (+).
    Next to System policies update, click the plus sign, and then click Remote update.
    To have the registry process error messages displayed on client computers, click Display error messages.
    To download the policy file from a server other than a domain controller, in Update mode, click Manual (use specific path), and then provide the specific path.
    If necessary, finish configuring policy settings for any other policy files on the computer, and then save the policy files in the appropriate folder.

Hope this helps.

A.J.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice