1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No internet when I use wifi adapter in my PC as a WiFi hotsp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zhaneq14, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zhaneq14

zhaneq14 Thread Starter

Hi, I would like to use my wireless adapter as a wifi hotspot to share the internet from my PC(connected to internet via ethernet cable) to my mobile devices but when i connect to the virtual wifi there is no internet. The only way I would be able to get internet on the virtual wifi is to change the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) properties to "obtain an IP address automatically", however when I do that a device that is connected to the PC through LAN will not communicate with the PC. I hope someone can help me...
    *the other device connected to the PC through LAN is a digital X-ray processing machine.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is this "virtual wifi"?? And how do you connect to it?

The usual process is to just enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the ethernet. Then other devices connect to the (actual) Wi-Fi provided by the PC's wireless adapter.

zhaneq14 likes this.
  3. zhaneq14

zhaneq14 Thread Starter

Thank you TerryNet.

Sorry i just meant the Wi-Fi provided by the PC's wireless adapter.

I have already enabled ICS and I can already connect to the Wi-Fi provided by the PC's wireless adapter but the problem is that there is no internet access on the mobile device connected. The only way I can have internet on the mobile device connected to the PC's Wi-Fi is if I set the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) properties to "obtain an IP address automatically", that would remove the specific settings which in turn disables the connection between the PC and my digital X-ray processing machine connected to the PC through LAN.

So I guess my question is, is there a way to retain the specific IP settings so that my digital X-ray processing machine will remain connected and the Wi-fi will have internet?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ICS certainly has a well deserved reputation for being problematic, but this is a new one for me. What is the IP address you are setting on the ethernet adapter and what OS are you using?

5. zhaneq14

zhaneq14 Thread Starter

I'm using Windows 7 Pro, the settings on the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) properties are as follows:
    IP address: 192.168.254.50
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.254.254
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.254.254

In the Advanced settings:
    IP address: 172.16.1.0
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    192.168.254.254 is the LAN address of your router, right?

Please explain "Advanced settings." Where do you find them? And what is the meaning/purpose of the 172.16.1.0?

7. zhaneq14

zhaneq14 Thread Starter

Yes.
    If you go to "Change adapter settings" right click on the "Local Area Connection" click on "Properties" then select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) then click on "Properties" you will find it there. I took a screenshot.

I don't know the meaning/purpose of the 172.16.1.0. The biomedical engineer who installed my digital xray image processor was the one who put it there. If it is removed the machine will not connect with the computer.

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks. As is obvious, I am not familiar with that. The Advanced settings appears to let the adapter be assigned multiple IP addresses. I've guessing that the image processor has an IP of 172.16.x.y. If that's the case maybe you can change it to be in your LAN.

I have no idea why the problem when the computer's adapter is changed to use dynamic (Dhcp) addressing. And, likewise, I don't know why ICS is not working with the static IP address.

I have a suggestion of something else to try. Remove the ICS setting. In "Change adapter settings" select the ethernet and wireless adapters, right click on one of them, and choose "Bridge connections." If it works the devices connected to the Wi-Fi will essentially be connected to the router as if the router itself were a wireless one. They will be in the same LAN IP address range as your router is. My fear is that, like the ICS, this will also not work with the static IP.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice