1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No internet with router but connects with a direct connect to dsl modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jensc2014, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jensc2014

jensc2014 Thread Starter

As long as my PC is connected to my dsl modem directly, I have Internet access. As soon as I try inserting a router into the mix, I lose all Internet connection.

I initially thought something had gone wrong with my router; so, I purchased a new one and still I am receiving the same problem. I have done numerous power cycles and tried reconnecting everything was connected properly: pc>router>modem>phone line.

I deactivated my firewall thinking that was the problem, but nothing changed.

I am not sure what else to try. I guess the plus side is that I do have access to the Internet, but would love to get the router working in order to use our laptops and phones and other devices with wifi.

I did perform this task. However, it was performed while I am only connected to my dsl modem and not the router.
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : King-HP
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : launchmodem.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E8-40-F2-A6-2F-EF
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6cda:170d:5979:b452%13(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.97(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:04:42 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 09, 2014 8:53:30 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 283656434
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-31-55-44-E8-40-F2-A6-2F-EF
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jensc2014

jensc2014 Thread Starter

Just an additional piece of information. Restarting in Safe Mode W/Network does not allow internet access neither. Not sure if this is needed information or not.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your modem appears to be a modem/router combo. That would mean that you are daisy-chaining two routers. The second router's WAN will be configured for a (default) dynamic connection and the second router cannot use the same LAN subnet. Since the first router is using 192.168.1.x if the second defaults to the same then change it to, for example, 192.168.3.x.

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

What is the make/model of the modem? The IPCONFIG you posted indicates it is a combination modem/router?
    What is the make/model of the router?

My first guess would be IP address conflict between the modem and router. That is, both have the same IP or are on the same subnet.

Run an IPCONFIG /ALL with the computer connected to the router. Save the results as a text file and post here.
    If the default gateway shows as 192.168.1.xxx, then IP conflict is the problem.

Easiest fix then would be to go into the LAN settings for the router and change the internal IP address of the router to 192.168.2.xxx so they are different subnets.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    an alternative is to setup the 2nd router as a switch

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice