1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No jumper switch on hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrP, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've ordered a new desktop which arrives tomorrow. I'm hoping to put my old hard drive straight in there. All the sites I find about adding second hard drives describe changing the jumper settings to master/slave, but I can't find anywhere for this to happen on my old drive. Are jumper settings old hat nowadays or should I be worried?
    This old drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160Gb. There is nothing on the label about setting up jumpers. The drive came as part of a Packard Bell desktop. The label does, however, say something about downloading Seagate's DiscWizard software. But I'm worried that just putting the drive in the PC without setting jumpers will destroy it! Is this so?
    Help would be much appreciated!
    Clive

EDIT: I've put the cables on and realised there are four spare pins next to the sockets for the cables. Could that be what I'm after?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

SATA drives, which have the smaller cables and very different looking plug connectors, require no jumper settings.

The 7200.7 should have been available in both IDE and SATA.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well a model number for the drive would help. But thos are probably the jumper pins in question. Looking at the drive from the connector side right to left you should have 4 pin power connector then 40 pin data cable connector then should be a set of pins for your jumpers.

4. bigbear

bigbear

5. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
    The sockets are a 15 (something but I wouldn't describe them as pins) for the power cable and six of the same thing for the system cable. Then 4 pins with nothing to attach to them. There is no jumper on them. That's from left to right BTW.
    Model No is ST3160023AS but when I search for this number on the Seagate website the result is empty.
    And Bigbear, it looks nothing like the image in your link...

6. IMM

IMM

7. bigbear

bigbear

The link I posted is for standard Ata drives.
    The fact you can not find it on the Seagate website probably means that Packhard from Hell have fitted drives in their machines that wont work in anything else

8. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

No! Please not! Please tell me that isn't true...
    Anyone?

9. bigbear

bigbear

OOps my mistake:eek:
    I assumed because you said it was an old drive that it was ATA.
    From that code no it does appear to be a sata drive, and you dont need to change any jumpers.
    Just plug into no 2 sata connection on your mobo

10. bigbear

bigbear

11. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Following IMM's link and reading the manual, I am thinking this drive will plug straight into the new desktop. As for the warranty, I only have a 1 year warranty anyway and would hopefully not have to remove anything which can prove I voided a warranty. Surely, opening the case and plugging in a few things wouldn't be visible. Anyway, I have to connect a card reader, a second DVD writer. a wireless card and a graphics card so I'm stuffed if the warranty says I can't do that. Or, stuff the warranty...

12. bigbear

bigbear

OK
    Would this be a barebones pc you are getting?
    Are you expecting to use this hard drive as your boot drive?

13. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

No, its actually a Dell.
    My old desktop has just given up on me - the processor was overheating all the time and I think I might have damaged it when I replaced the fan and heatsink without thermal glue. Anyway, I bought some thermal glue and it worked ok until the processor had to do some work and then it just turned off. I figure the hard drive is a few years old and the monitor is flickering in shades of yellow so it'd be better to get a new system all in one go, thereby getting an improvement in performance as well. The last straw was when startup was just cycling through the blue bios screen and reaching no further.
    Now I've ordered a desktop with 1 HD, 1 DVD writer, no network cards, card reader or graphics cards. I need to plug the old HD into it so I can retrieve my files or I'm stuffed. As for the DVD writer - why not plug that in as well (there'll be a spare slot for it). I'm hoping the card reader and wireless PCI will plug straight in. As for my graphics card, I'm not sure. It is a 128Mb Radeon X300 SE but not the one which shows up when you search for that name (instead I always hit one with a similar name but it looks different and is reviewed as being a decent card several months after I got it in a low priced system). I thought I'd read somewhere this may not be compatible with a Core 2 Duo processor, so I'm not sure whether this'll work or not - I was intending to see if it would fit the motherboard and try it.
    There you go!

EDIT: To answer your question - no, I don't intend to boot from it. Just copy the files onto the drive which comes with the system and leave it in there as a backup drive.

14. bigbear

bigbear

Thanks for the clarification it stops the guessing:)
    Good Luck(y)

15. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Do you think I'm being realistic with all that?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice