Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No keyboard detected, new MB hasn't helped!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SirKenin 
#1 ·
Hi all,

This is a PC riddle. A few weeks ago I started getting an error message on my PC. First it wouldn't detect my ps2 keyboard, and then I got a CMOS checksum error. I tried resetting the board etc. and eventually concluded that I needed to replace the motherboard. So I buy a new Asus board, install all the components, power it up, and I get EXACTLY the same error messages. I'm confused as to how one MB can get the same error messages as an old one. Could it be memory, or my CPU? I'm really confused about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Dan

#6 ·
ahdanielsan said:
Aye, tried that. Say it, I'm doomed!

Dan
'Your doomed!!' lol.. well some one was bound to say it :)

The cmos check sum error usually means that the cmos battery is flat.. have you tried checking the voltages on the battery, and maybe changing it over, for a known working one. I'm unsure if this will help the keyboard error, but its worth a try :)

#7 ·
Well, by process of elimination:
Your system board is good, unless the Japanese kid who assembled it hates you.

The RAM is good because you have already toyed with it.

The drives you have hooked up to it have an extremely remote possibility that they are shorting pins/etc. but I'd say the chances of that happening are extremely thin.

My guess would be the power supply. Just on a hunch, it sounds like one of the rails might be going out. Now, don't take my word for this and buy a big, expensive PSU just to see that it has no effect on your problems, but it's worth a try if you have a spare one lying around.

The CMOS errors confuse the crap out of me. This shouldn't be happening on a new board; the battery is brand new (unless you used the one that was on the other board ;) ;) ). That is what leads me to the PSU being bad: it causes strange errors, and everyone pulls out their hair replacing other parts where the symptoms are.

That's all I've got. Just for the sake of curiosity, please post back if the power supply does turn out to be bad.

JBotAlan

#9 ·
*UPDATE*

Over the weekend I tried new memory, a new mouse, and a new keyboard. After putting all my new bits in, it fired up first time, but after that both the keyboard and mouse stopped working, as did the PC, and so I'm back to square one.
I've never heard of a PC killing peripherals before, but mine seems to be on a mission! I've now handed the useless contraption over to someone that knows what they're doing, and I'm pretty convinced that the issue is going to be a knackered PSU. There's no reason why the CPU should have gone pop, and the fact that it booted once would seem to make that even more unlikely.

Cheers,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.