1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no keyboard or mouse after installing XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dave.wright, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave.wright

dave.wright Thread Starter

I have just installed windows XP and the mouse and keyboard do not work(both PS2 connected). Both worked during the installation process but after the last re-boot to enter windows XP they are not recognized. I have a AMD 64 processor and M2V motherboard and nvidia GeForce 7300GS graphics card. I have tried them on a different computer and they are OK. I loaded Fedora and they both still work.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

Try resetting the bios to default factory settings?

3. dave.wright

dave.wright Thread Starter

I have tried that but it has had on effect unfortunately

4. spudnik

spudnik

i have a similar problem with my PC that i think you might be interested in;

let me give you a piece of history first to explain my actions. I was playing Dungeon Siege (alright please stop laughing) when i got hung up. i got a BSOD message saying this windows STOP error was caused by Nv4_disp display driver. well, seeing i have an MSI m2n mobo and an SLI'd set of 512 EVGA 7600GS's with driver version 93.71, i might as well update the driver and humor the PC.

so i downloaded the new driver (92.42?) and began the Uninstall process for the old driver.

the uninstall went fine AFAIK. the PC rebooted automatically but when it got back to the login screen for windows - no mouse or keyboard. both would not log my administrator profile in.

tried a new set of keyboard and mouse - no go.

tried booting to safe mode - i was able to choose safe mode but again at the blue XP login screen, no keyboard and no mouse.

so what i plan on doing is trying to boot FROM the CD that was packaged with the cards (pc is only 2 months old) and hopefully i will be able to install the drivers at the boot screen (but i doubt it)

failing that i think the only option is to pull the old nuke and reformat. i REaLLY hope i dont need to do this. let me update you tomorrow with the results from tonight.

unless someone else has a better idea.

5. spudnik

spudnik

well, still at an impass. i tried booting (boot order cdrom1, removable2, HDD3) with the EVGA CD that was packaged with the video cards, but they have no /install on boot type thing.

then i tried booting with the CD that came packaged with the mobo, on boot it prompted me (in some sort of dos) to "make" a nvidia raid driver page, FreeDOS command propt, and JMICRON JM363 RIAD driver disk.

i have no idea what any of those 3 things does, so if someone could lead me on via PM, this thread can continue with the OP's problems.

iirc i can make a DOS command prompt and when i boot to that with the EVGA driver disk in i MIGHT be able to do a d:\install.exe command to install the default drivers? then again i dont even know if the install will run purely in DOS command prompt from the boot screen (remembering windows isnt loaded yet)

6. spudnik

spudnik

ok, after entering the FreeDOS menu from the disk that the mobo was packaged with, i managed to get to a:\

now, the problem is, i cannot install any nvidia drivers because there are none on the CD for the MOBO. i cant take out the MOBO cd and insert the GPU cd and still properly run dos. it doesnt work.

so now i need a way to boot to dos without going to FreeDOS from the MOBO CD. any ideas?

7. spudnik

spudnik

oddly enough, there doesnt seem to be any option in my BIOS to clear NVRAM, or reset configuration data. i have a Load setup defaults thing, but i donno if thats the same thing.

8. spudnik

spudnik

i will try to load the setup defaults when i get home - hopefully my HDD is still recognised and hoefully this will help me again use my keyboard and mouse.

9. spudnik

spudnik

well, loading setup defaults did nothing so now i am where the OP got stuck.

i will be googling for some help on this and fill you in if i find something that works.

10. cgesicki

cgesicki

are the devices showing in the device manager? Sorry I havent posted in a while, been very busy.

11. cgesicki

cgesicki

Or see if u can install a usb mouse, if that gets detected then do a system restore and then try the ps2 mouse. If that doesnt work, boot from cd and try the repair installation

12. spudnik

spudnik

1. usb mouse didnt work. neither did USB keyboard. i never really understood how Windows could detect a fresh USB device and install it and have it useable before one got to the login screen, anyway.

2. i had system restore turned off. so this isnt an option.

3. booted from the Windows Disk and tried a repair. this got me to a dos screen where i could do CHKDSK /P which also did squat.

4. went back intot he bios to try to modify the CMOS, ended up turning off and on a few things, loading setup defaults all to no avail.

5. did a reformat, fresh install. worked. ironic for the OP if this should be the cause and the fix for his keyboard and mouse issue.

if i could use an expletive at this point i would. but this is a family forum so i will keep my post clean.

lost it all; not happy that i had to resort to the duke nukem method of computing.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice