1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no keyboard

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by coolhand420, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolhand420

coolhand420 Thread Starter

ok here it is yesterday a friend gave me there old puter that crashed for unknown reasons. i want to re format and ect. the problem is the mother board has no plugs for anything? there all added pci cards i mean everything i got it running to the desktop once then froze and upon restart it started in safe mode after another restart it wont boot at all says hard disk failure i can get it going with a startup disc oh by the way its running win98. and says the hartd disk doesnt contain a valid fat 32 partiotion and i need to run f disk ok easy enough but the keyboard is plugged into a usb port and doesnt seem to work with the start up disk how can i reformat without the key board or how do i get it working maybe im missing something totaly obvious here but right now im scratching my head any suggestions?:mad:

2. columbo

columbo

Hi Coolhand420,

Are you sure that there are no on-board ports? I've never seen that before. Are you positive that there isn't even a 5-pin keyboard connector? Those have been standard (at least for the AT form factor) for as long as I can remember.

Hopefully there is another port, either 5-pin or PS2 that you can use. All you'll need to do is obtain a USB to PS2 adapter, or a USB to 5-pin (sorry, don't know the technical name for it) adapter (if it even exists).

Of course, another option is to pull the H.D. out of this system and throw it into another PC (as a secondary drive). Then FDISK and format it, and put it back in. I'm assuming that you have another system available, and that you're comfortable with hardware.

Columbo

3. coolhand420

yes there is a 5 pin din connector but that is it. does an adapter excist to hook e keyboard to this i guess there before my time cause ive never seen them xcept for older stereo hook-ups?all the other ports as i said are pci boards lol ive never seen a mother board so bare!and yes i do have two other pc i am gonna give this one to my daughter if i can get it working? If i put the drive in another pc do i put it in as a slave and run f disk on the slave i probly have to i think or else it wont be recognized or do i pull my master and replace with this one and run a setup disk i just want to make sure i dont ruin anything on my hard drive. once i format it though how do i run win98 setup without the keyboard if i install via my puter wont it install all my neccesary hardware?

4. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Well.....I don't think there is such a thing as a USB to 5-pin(AT) adapter. You mentioned that you have 2 other computers....do either of them use a PS2 keyboard? If so, then you could purchase a PS2 to 5-pin(AT) adapter.

Once you've got the keyboard problem worked out, I would suggest that you just unplug your good HD from one of your other PCs, pop the bad one in there, and boot it using your boot disk. Then run FDISK on it (delete, then re-create the primary DOS partition). Then reboot and format it (using your boot disk). Then throw it back into your daughter's PC and install your OS.

PS2 to AT adapters aren't that expensive and can probably be found at Future Shop or any other electronics place (I think they're only about $10 bucks Canadian)....

Columbo

EDIT: SORRY, JUST RE-READ YOUR MESSAGE. ALL OF THIS WORKS ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU'RE ABLE TO ATTACH A WORKING KEYBOARD TO YOUR SYSTEM. I KNOW OF NO WAY TO INSTALL AN OS WITHOUT A KEYBOARD. SORRY.

5. coolhand420

ok i found an adapter fo the 5pin din gotta go to circuit city to pick up though if i use this port will automaticlly recognize and work or do i still need to do something?

6. columbo

columbo

You found a USB to 5-pin adapter, or a PS2 to 5-pin adapter?

7. coolhand420

guess you posted while i was writing> all the keyboards are ps2 the on hers had a ps2 to usb adapter the ps2 to 5 pin is 7 bucks us. will the key board work after i formatt and install the hard drive back in to hers or will it work in hers know with just the adapter i guess ill just go get the adapter and see what happens txs

8. columbo

columbo

Well,

My PC has always worked fine with the adapter, even when there was nothing on the HD. It shouldn't matter what's on the HD, the keyboard with the adapter should work in whatever computer it's plugged into.

Try getting the adapter, plugging it in, then booting with the boot disk and run FDISK. It should work OK.

Let us know if you have any more trouble with it.

Columbo

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice