1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No left click on active desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by marina, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marina

marina Thread Starter

Hi All , i Need a cleric to preform some windows 98 assistance.
    My staminia is drained. Here's my problem:

I have noticed for some time that there must be some kind of registery error in my system, can not get printer to print correctly
    and quicktime is missing some files, and it will not let me download over it. But i am online gamer and new release is comming out, requiring 8.0 directX , 32 meg video, 512 ram
    and sound card. so purchased 32 meg geforce 2 board and downloaded 8.1directx. and updated drivers for sound and video.
    After that i could no longer connect, so called tech support for game. They asked me to export my regedit files and my msinfo files and they would look into it. THen i got a fatal expection error
    [email protected] 0028:c0006764 in vxd vmm(01) 0005764. Searched web until i thought i had found problem. Found a post somewhere
    that said i had old verson 5.1 macafee in autoexe file. Followed instuctions closely for first way to try deleting it, second way was to edit registery, so tryed just deleting, when did this lost my active desktop and can no longer double click or left click . I can right click then open but thats it. i tryed copying win 98 over for most of files, still not working, tried safe mode, same thing.
    Did scandisk and it found error with my setupx.dll. but it didn't fix it either. And lost all the information on my video and sound cards and new drivers. I still have a file that i saved in my temp folder
    when i exported it, and aleast it had drivers and a working desktop. file folder says its called setupx.dll. Would this be a full copy of regestry and can i reimport it, and try again? What would you suggest, i have alot of work stored on drive i really don't want to loose. This is what i currently have in system:
    tyan thrinity371, 433 slot 1 celron, geforce2 video, montego
    soundcard. i really miss my game and would greatly appriecate
    any and all wisdom.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice