1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No longer see my or my neighbors wifi networks listed....?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hhannam, Jul 16, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Dick Thread Starter

I already know that as an old(er) geezer I'm getting a bit stupider each day, but I really thought I should be able to figure this one out, but I haven't yet and decided to ask for some help.

I don't recall any specific or recent changes that I've made to my equipment or settings, but somewhere along the line in recent time I've lost my wifi access and the listing of other nearby wifi's......wha happened?

Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? The only networks listed .... under Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change Adapter Settings .... is my Ethernet-hardwired "Network 2" (and it is functioning well), and a Bluetooth Network Connection, which, while it is enabled, also says that the "Network cable unplugged", and I'm at a loss for what that means as well.

I can't honestly say how long ago this all changed, but I no longer have the wifi icon in my lower right taskbar area, and I can also no longer bring up a list of "available wifi's or networks", which used to be about nine or more from nearby residences.

Last, but not least, what prompted my sudden concern about and need for my wifi is that I recently purchased an Amazon Echo Dot and learned quickly that I can't use it until I learn how to connect it to the Internet via my router's wifi... could use some help, please!

I use a Linksys WRT 160N Wireless Router (Version 1)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8065 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (84 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 464 GB (422 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3397
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Sponsor

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

If you no longer see the wifi options, either the SSIDs or the WIFI option in the taskbar, your wifi card is probably dead. If it was working fine and then just randomly quit, that's my first guess, as that's what happens when they fail. They just fail out of nowhere.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If you are trying to use an integrated wireless adapter is it switched on ("Airplane mode" Off)?

Does the wireless adapter show in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors in Device Manager?

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

You appear to have one of these HP Compaq Elite 8300 desktop models:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-elite-8300-microtower-pc/5232859/product-info (microtower)
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...convertible-minitower-pc/5232845/product-info (convertible minitower)
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-elite-8300-small-form-factor-pc/5232852/product-info (small form factor)
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-elite-8300-ultra-slim-pc/5232866/product-info (ultra slim)

Is that correct?

What's the exact serial number and product number on yours?

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. hhannam

Thanks Andrew....is there any way to confirm the card has expired?

7. metallica5456

Right click on the Windows logo in the bottom left and select DEVICE MANAGER. Open the Network Adapters category and see if you see anything "Wi-Fi" related in there. If not, then it has failed and needs to be replaced.

8. hhannam

Hello again Terry! Nope...no listings, but no error messages either. See attached screen clip

Attached Files:

9. metallica5456

That shows ALL "DETECTED" hardware for networking devices. As long as you currently have it connected when you posted that screenshot, it likely has failed. It should be listed under there IF it's being detected. I would suggest to go purchase a replacement wifi adapter. An external USB one would be the best option, imo.

10. hhannam

Forgive my fundamental conceptual naivete, but is my router's wifi displayed on the device manager, or is that supposed to be the computer's wifi?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

And the first question (post # 3)?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Device Manager shows the computer parts. Under Network Adapters should be the network cards--ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.

metallica5456 likes this.
  13. hhannam

Oops!....forgot to answer about airplane mode. That's another reference that I no longer see. I cannot access the on/off option to airplane mode because the wireless network icon is no longer on my taskbar. I've posted below the instructions I sought to find airplane mode, but without the icon I don't know how else to find the on/off option.

Attached Files:

14. metallica5456

Is that a RECENT screenshot as its showing SSID's in that list.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Sorry, I forgot that in post # 7 you said that the wireless has disappeared from Device Manager. It may be loose, contacts corroded, or has died.

If an integrated adapter and is easily accessed through a small cover on the laptop bottom remove it and carefully and firmly replace it several times. This will fix any looseness or corrosion problems.

metallica5456 likes this.
  16. hhannam

Yes, it is an 8300, but unfortunately I cannot locate the serial number in my files and I have my HDTV sitting on top of it, getting access to the label on the PC would take some doing (I'd need the help of another person). So unless obtaining the serial number becomes necessary, I'm going to hold off on that for now. Thanks just the same.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193201