1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No longer see my or my neighbors wifi networks listed....?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hhannam, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Dick Thread Starter

I just took it....

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Then what exactly is the issue? I saw several SSID's in that list. That shows that your wifi card is working correctly and is detecting SSID's.

3. hhannam

I just took another look at the device manager's network adapters and additional items appeared that weren't there when I sent another screen clip to Terry Net above......where'd they come from and what are they?

Attached Files:

4. metallica5456

I am not exactly sure what they are and how to define them, But I do know they are normal , for the most part. TerryNet can explain better when he pops back in.

5. hhannam

Once again I have to apologize about my lack of complete understanding on these matters, but let me address each concern again.
    1. My Amazon Echo Dot could not detect a wifi network to make a connection.
    2. I can no longer get/see a list of available wifi networks (my neighbors specifically, and with network names I recognize for some neighbors.
    3. My wifi icon is no longer in my lower right taskbar area and I can also no longer access the airplane mode on/off status or option (which turns on/off all wireless connections)

Those are my issues

6. metallica5456

I am likely to believe its a failed Wi-Fi card in the computer. Let's wait until TerryNet returns and posts further advice to see if he concurs or has additional diagnostics we can run.

7. hhannam

Unfortunately this is a desktop, not a laptop, and I have an HDTV sitting on top of it. In order to access this computer to check the card, if it has one, then I will need to get some help from someone else.

However, I'm a bit confused by Andrew's seeming contrary assertion (copied below) that claims that my device manager shows my card is working fine. What am I missing here?
    ("Then what exactly is the issue? I saw several SSID's in that list. That shows that your wifi card is working correctly and is detecting SSID's.")

8. hhannam

(1:39 pm EST) Excuse me for taking a bit of a break....I've not eaten yet today and it's starting to catch up with me. I'll be back in a little while.

9. metallica5456

In the above post# 12 you show a screenshot where you can clearly see SSID's being shown.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

That screenshot in post # 12 shows, as Andrew said, three wireless networks, indicating that at that time your wireless card was working (at least partially). That also shows a place to click to toggle the Airplane mode. But we can forget Airplane mode for the time being.

I have not yet seen the wireless card in Device Manager, but it must have been there when your screen shot of Settings (post # 12) was taken.

I have very little understanding of the Miniports that tend to show up in Device Manager. Sometimes one is associated with a firewall, but I know little more.

So, the wireless card seems to come and go. I assume that it is not a USB device. Is that true?

If not USB then it must be PCI (or PCIe). That, in my mind, is the equivalent of an integrated wireless card in a laptop.

I find it concerning that a computer is being used as a base for a (apparently large and heavy) TV. Maybe I just like computers too much. :D

metallica5456 likes this.
  11. hhannam

Yes, but compare the device manager clip in post #7 to the clip in post #12....quite a difference, and I don't know why.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Nor do I--but my bet is that it has to do with the wireless card being loose, defective, or having corroded contacts. Another thing, actually question, just came to mind--I wonder if the card overheating could be a cause? If so, then either something is blocking proper cooling, a fan is not working, or the card is defective.

13. hhannam

Sorry to say, but the further we go the more confused I seem to be getting.

To start, I have apparently completely forgotten what little I did know about networks and wifi, so I can't even tell you whether my computer's network adapter is in USB form or a motherboard card.

According to another of your recent posts you stated that my latest screen clip showing the more extensive list also showed a place to click for the airplane mode....but I don't see where that is.

If my wifi card is working, why doesn't the wifi icon show up any longer on my taskbar?....I used to be able to click on that to see the wife networks in my zone, both mine and my neighbors.

Why are you saying to forget the airplane mode now?.....as I understand it, that turns my wifi(s) on and off, so couldn't that be an explanation of why the icon's gone?....or why the wifi's turned off?...and also why The Amazon Echo Dot senses no wifi to connect with?

There's yet another issue we haven't breached yet also that may be playing a role here, and that is that I have a "Homegroup" established, and I can't even remember why I created it because for quite some time I've had all my network equipment hardwired for connections and sharing, and haven't needed the wifi until just recently receiving the Echo Dot.

I'm not sure how dumb I can get, but I'm definitely getting there faster all the time.....o_O

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

How many things do you have plugged into USB ports? Check each one and determine if it is a USB flash drive, wireless adapter, mouse, keyboard, "dongle" for a wireless mouse or keyboard, etc.

I (and Andrew) were referring to your screen shot attached to post # 12.

Partially, because it seems to be coming and going (mostly going absent). Maybe the Notification Area customization no longer has the Network icon set to "always show." Mostly, I don't know.

Because the network card has disappeared or has disappeared most of the time. It makes no sense to turn it off or on if it essentially does not exist.

I don't know. How can you tell? Does it announce such? Have you tried to set it up again using the Alexa App on phone or tablet? (I have one, but it has remained connected except for power outages.)

15. hhannam

When I use the Echo Dot's "getting started" wizard for setting it up it comes to the point where it says it cannot detect any wifi available and can't proceed because it cannot access the Internet.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193201