1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No longer see my or my neighbors wifi networks listed....?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hhannam, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Advertisement
  1. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

In response to "I knew which list and where it was that you (and Andrew) were referring to....I just couldn't (and still can't) see where you saw a place to click for the airplane mode on it." see attached screen shot of your screen shot.

Capture.PNG

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You should see the wireless card listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters (just as the ethernet and Bluetooth show in your screen shots). If it is detected but no driver is installed it will still be in Device Manager but will be under "Other devices" with an error indication.

If the card is in Device Manager as OK it can be toggled on and off by toggling Airplane Mode off and on. Some manufacturers also supply an extra utility to do the same. Laptops often have a physical button or switch or a key combination to do the same.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Is this wizard part of the Alexa App for iOS or for Android? Or is it something that runs on your computer?

4. hhannam

hhannam Dick Thread Starter

This one is on me....my bad. I mistakenly thought you meant the screen clip in post #18 (not #12, which was a screen clip taken from a set of instructions pictured on the web..... not from my computer, so I didn't have access to that pictured button). The scenario in the screen clip on post # 12 did not come up on my computer, although I think that I recall having seen it formerly.

5. hhannam

I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to take from this message.... which essentially just states that the wireless card should be showing in the device manager....but of course it is not showing. And since it's not there I also cannot turn the airplane mode off and on. I'm guessing you're just commenting on where I could access the airplane mode option if my wifi card was working and displayed in the DM.

6. hhannam

It's part of the Alexa App for my android smartphone.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

So, does this mean that the wireless card has not worked even for a moment since the beginning of this thread?

8. hhannam

Unless you see anything else in my posts that indicate that the card was working, perhaps you're right. I still don't know why I at first got only two entries listed under the device manager/Network adapters, and then got an additional eight WAN mini port listings (see post # 18). And believe it or not my device manager again/currently only shows the two items again ....the additional entries have disappeared as mysteriously as the appeared.

If the wifi card is dead, the first thing I've got to determine is where I can locate and replace it. It doesn't seem to be a USB item, so I gather I'd have to open up my desktop.

The other issue that doesn't make any sense to me is that my router is the device producing a wifi, so despite my computer wifi card perhaps being expired, why didn't the Echo Dot detect the router's wifi?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yep.

Assuming that your phone detects and connects to the router's Wi-Fi I have no idea. Has the Echo Dot ever worked?

10. hhannam

No....getting to the message that it cannot detect any wifi networks is as far as I've gotten. As for whether my phone detects the router wifi....I dunno. It connects with the Internet, but in addition to my Verizon phone service providing Internet, I've also got a MagicJack app that couples my smart phone with my landline Internet based phone service. So I really don't know if my phone can or does connect with my router's wifi.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Well, you need some way to determine if the problem is likely with the router or the Echo Dot.

metallica5456 likes this.
  12. hhannam

Yessir....that's why I contacted TSG, but maybe I'll have to call Amazon or Linksys or whomever to get that answer. Thanks for your effort in any case.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :)

14. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Contact Amazon and ask them to try to troubleshoot the Echo Dot. Linksys won't be able to offer any troubleshooting for anything besides the router, most likely.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193201